New hatch dropping like flies.

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Southeast Arkansas
I have a new hatch of mixed LF, Silkies, OEGB and Silver Sebrights. They hatched Sunday, Monday, and the last one came out of the incubator this morning. Everybody looked fine when I left the house at 9:30 this morning. At 11:45, the lady that cleans house for me called and said she heard the "babies crying" and went in to find 3 dead, and probably a dozen failing. Could Coccidia get new babies this fast? ( I have some 1 mo's being medicated right now due to a possible outbreak after moving to an outside brooder)

Is there anything else that could effect them this fast? Any and all input appreciated.

Yes, my first thought, also. Unfortunately fumes can and will kill them and quickly. I read on here recently where someone had this happen while using a teflon-coated pan to cook with and babies were being brooded nearby. Someone else mentioned that their eggs were not hatching well and wondered if it was fumes-related.
It could be some sort of bacteria that they picked up in the incubator as well. I don't think cocci is that quick acting, at least I have never had chicks die so quickly and I have had some with cocci that I had time to notice symptoms on and treat successfully. Are you using a medicated starter?
So sorry. I wish you luck and hope there are no more casualties.

Last edited:
STOP MEDICATING CHICKS
the reason you gave is not the reason one medicates for cocccidiosis
the ONLY reason to medicate for coccidiosis is IF they have it
PLEASE EMAIL ME so I can help you get a full understandig on why you are medicating

IF the nwly hatched chicks drank the medicated water THAT is why they died

Your understanding of medication is too agressive.

just because you moved them to a new brooder would not have given them coccidiosis that fast

Sounds like you have it TOO hot in their incubator for them
what temp do you keep it
also if thy are too cold they would be huddled together and die

but over heated chicks die spraddled out in brooder
DO YOU have ample air not a draft but air coming into the brooder

the reason I say too much heat is their chirping and chirping
it should have only been 98 degrees with ample new air coming in not all closed up

STOP medicating for coccidiosis a it is very hard on the gut of chicks
especially IF they don't have coccidiosis

email me [please so I can help

Last edited:
wow. yeah.
sad.png

good analysis - is it possible that's the cause? describe more of the chicks behavior if you can or at least how you found them. Cocci would be noticeable it would seem.

there would be nothing to cause coccidiosis in hew hatched birds
this thought is ridiculous
sorry but we hatched 3500 birds a yr for decades and NEVER had any problem with coccidiosis till older chicks were put on soil

FEMALES are seriously damaged by unneccesary usage of ciccidiosis medication

the symptoms of coccidiosis are
ruffled feathers humped up chick in corner by self and only drinking water
they will die in 4 days after thisstarts
they only have watery discharge no manure
The first day you notice this in chick
you medicate whole group it is with
the coccidiosis is spread by chick drinking from same waterer as rest of chicks

you will see remarkable improvement in a day but medicater for 7 days
I will post my recipe for coccidiosis

The reason I started the older chicks on medication: I found one dead chick and one hunched up chick about three days after moving them to an outdoor brooder and the light had been accidentally disconnected for the night. I thought they were a little old to get that cold, but brought the one in the house to warm her up. She seemed to enjoy the warmth but within several hours had two stools that looked like bloody water and she died very shortly after that. I started those chicks on amprollium. I also disinfected the pen and utensils where I had the sick chick with bleach water, 1:10 That was Saturday. These chicks started hatching on Sunday. That is the reason I was asking if there was any way that is could be coccidiosis, I am sorry if it is a ridiculous question. The new chicks did not have medicated water. They were not too hot, temp at the floor directly under the light was at 95. Some chicks were grouped (not piled) under the light, some were spaced out around part of the brooder, there is plenty of room for hot chicks to get out from under the light. Plenty of fresh air, but blocked from drafts at chick level. I am not responding by email because one of the purposes of a forum is that other people can learn from the questions and answers.

Back
Top Bottom