New hatch today under broody and store is out of starter...

whatthecluck

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2009
VeRmOnT
I ordered a bag which will be here in a week....that said, the guy said to me "well its a little late in the season..." Am I the only one with broodies every fall??? Mother nature wanted this lol! I just helped her along with picking breeds to strategically place!
lol.png

OK so I had pieces of tomato that I dropped in and the babies and momma jumped all over them...so maybe they have been under her since nighttime? Then I soaked a piece of wheat bread in water and a wheat bagel the same and they ate that. I ground layer pellets with mortar and pestal and they ate some. I was going to cook them some eggs scrambled.....
truthfully though I have no clue if they shouldnt be getting this stuff. I have this thought like...if they were in the wild...they would eat odd things that momma would find, not chick starter anyhow...so! I dont have bugs handy at the moment but cooked eggs seems like it would be good for protein.
What have you done? I have to make it a week unless I can find some somewhere else....hmmmm....

Did you look to see if the store had All Flock or Flock Raiser? I just sent some pellets though my grinder for mama to give her new babies since I don't have crumbles. I gave her some boiled egg for lunch that she bolted down and shared scraps of with the babies. They are only a few hours old and were happily eating.

They should not be eating layer food. It has extra calcium for the eggshells and the extra calcium can hurt the chicks. Flock raiser or something like Hinotori said would be better, supplemented with scrambled or boiled eggs smushed up.

Back
Top Bottom