New hatched duckling with one foot curled

AlishasDucks

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
Hi,
I hatched 6 healthy dark brown khaki campbell ducklings, and 1 yellow duckling that doesn’t seem healthy. I assume it’s khaki Campbell as that’s what I was told when I purchased the eggs. The yellow duckling is 12hrs old and the last to hatch.

the yellow duckling has a foot curled under, like its scrunched up and facing backwards. The ducking is unable to stand and struggles to hold its head up. It’s constantly shaking and chirping even though the rest of the ducklings are content eating, drinking and sleeping. The temperature in the house is currently 28 degrees Celsius and the brooder light is set to 30 degree Celsius. I have tried to offer water by syringe and shallow bowl but refused both. I haven’t offered food.
I have read online that you can make a splint from cardboard to fold the foot out. Does anyone have any experience in this? It’s such a beautiful little duckling and so heart breaking to see.

Pictures of the foot would be helpful. Are you able to bend the ankle joint, and the hock joint properly?

Sometimes you'll get a duckling that had its foot over its head, or in an odd position during hatch that caused the leg to curl in, as such away. Sometimes the problem can also be related to genetics, IME.

If you're able to bend the foot to where it should be without any resistant, you can flatten the leg down with painters tape, as shown below :

1603971687100.png

The duckling is still fairly young to be eating too much, so don't worry that she's not eating much right now. Later today she may have a better appetite in which case I would offer her some mashed scrambled eggs for nutrients. B vitamins support healthy leg growth and structure so you may consider adding some to her feed or water as well.

Pictures of the foot would be helpful. Are you able to bend the ankle joint, and the hock joint properly?

Sometimes you'll get a duckling that had its foot over its head, or in an odd position during hatch that caused the leg to curl in, as such away. Sometimes the problem can also be related to genetics, IME.

If you're able to bend the foot to where it should be without any resistant, you can flatten the leg down with painters tape, as shown below :

View attachment 2391450

The duckling is still fairly young to be eating too much, so don't worry that she's not eating much right now. Later today she may have a better appetite in which case I would offer her some mashed scrambled eggs for nutrients. B vitamins support healthy leg growth and structure so you may consider adding some to her feed or water as well.
I can pull the lef

View attachment 2391450

I can pull the leg forward and uncurl the foot with what appears to be no discomfort. I will get some
Painters tape them I’ll grab him out to take a photo of the leg and foot before I begin to do anything.
thanks for your help.

I can pull the lef

I can pull the leg forward and uncurl the foot with what appears to be no discomfort. I will get some
Painters tape them I’ll grab him out to take a photo of the leg and foot before I begin to do anything.
thanks for your help.

That's good the foot is bendable. Let us know how the duckling does. Best of luck.

So they take Sens to be helping. She’s able to walk now and is very happy. She’s still very awkward. But certainly healthy.
how long soundsi keep the tape in position?

Back
Top Bottom