New Hatcher, and a question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Connorrm, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Hello All,

Been a LONG time since I've been on BYC! Anyway, I work for a small rural school. They have a tiny ag program. They wanted to hatch eggs, and they had a dismal 100% fail rate. They were only turning eggs once a day, didn't measure humidity - basically anything they could do wrong, they did.

So, I felt bad. I brought in my own turbofan/autoegg turner hovabator. I got 3 dozen eggs from a friend and started a new hatching. Day 21 is Wednesday. I've tried looking up the answers here but I didn't see it (it is likely there, just buried in one of the many articles).

So, here's some stats:

Started with 36 eggs, 7 infertile, 3 stopped developing. As of today (day 18) everyone looks good and I put the bator on "lock down". 99.5*/70% humidity. The only hiccup we had was the school went without power yesterday, but I moved the bator 1/2 mile away at a teacher's house, preemptively. So they only went without power for about 5 min.

Here's the question: What day do they actually pip? Is it day 21? Day 19? Does it vary? Wondering what to expect. I'm hoping SOME hatch. They are a blue laced buff brahma (a friend's side project).

Any help or points in the right direction would be great! Thanks everyone!

2. Burbs03

Burbs03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2017
    It varies, i had one pip on day twenty two and another on day twenty three

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by