New hatchlings!!!

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Sandy springs Atlanta Georgia USA
Hello! Today is a super exciting day because the eggs that I have been keeping under my broody hand buttercup are finally starting to hatch one of them is almost halfway out of her egg and I am super excited for the chicks to come out in the morning. Now as of right now we don't have chick feed but we are going to be creating some homemade food until the starter food arrives if you have any tips for the homemade food feel free to leave them in a post and when they hatch I will show you pictures and tell you all about their personalities I'm super excited and by the way if you are hatching chicks of your own as well whether with a broody hen or an incubator feel free to let me know and if any of you have some name suggestions after I show you the pictures then I'd love to hear what you have to say once again I'm super excited for all these chicks to arrive and I hope it goes well I'll update on it tomorrow

Hello! Today is a super exciting day because the eggs that I have been keeping under my broody hand buttercup are finally starting to hatch one of them is almost halfway out of her egg and I am super excited for the chicks to come out in the morning. Now as of right now we don't have chick feed but we are going to be creating some homemade food until the starter food arrives if you have any tips for the homemade food feel free to leave them in a post and when they hatch I will show you pictures and tell you all about their personalities I'm super excited and by the way if you are hatching chicks of your own as well whether with a broody hen or an incubator feel free to let me know and if any of you have some name suggestions after I show you the pictures then I'd love to hear what you have to say once again I'm super excited for all these chicks to arrive and I hope it goes well I'll update on it tomorrow
We have chicks (5) hatching under a broody hen as well. One egg is on day 19, and the other four are on day 17. Real excited here as well!

we don't have chick feed but we are going to be creating some homemade food until the starter food arrives if you have any tips for the homemade food feel free to leave them in a post
Most importantly, don't disturb the broody while the chicks hatch, even though curiosity will be great and people often feel the urge to peek under.

Regarding the chick feed: Some mashed boiled egg with fine rolled oats, millet, chrushed wheat and a bit of grinded corn and chopped stinging nettle and dandelion leaves should suffice until your ordered chick feed will be delivered.

Make sure the have access to sand/chick grit to help with the digestion.

Okay we have some sad news to anybody who's been following this forum this morning I was shocked to go out to the chickens and see that the broody hen had left her nest and of course I went out there at 2:00 in the morning but the broody then went back into a nest I heard cheeping that was very loud and I heard her seeming to be attacking something so I peeked in and saw that the one little chick that was hatching yesterday was half out and the broody was attacking it obviously the pretty thought that the chick was a threat to her eggs but she didn't seem to realize that this was her baby now so we took in the half hatched egg and overnight until the morning the chick hatched and is perfectly fine and okay in the incubator but of course this now means that the broody is going to stay on those eggs yes but every time that a chick hatches we're going to need to take it inside with us now of course the chicken is barely a couple hours old and since they she obviously absorbed the yolk before leaving the egg she won't have to eat or drink for 2 days but after those two days I will continue to make chick food as I have educated myself on how to do it. I'll keep you updated on how the chick is but mostly right now she's she's either sleeping or she's running around our house trying to explore but she's still not very strong so she's not exactly running around but running a couple steps then flopping down.

Ok time for daily post! We do not know what gender she( yes I'm calling her a she for now) is.....but we do know she is half Austria white half rhode island red she looks just like her dad ( the Austria white) but we're calling her willow! What do ya think. (Also she hatched yesterday and is very fluffy)

Here are some pictures!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_132536253.jpg
    IMG_20210625_132536253.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210625_132640616.jpg
    IMG_20210625_132640616.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom