new having problems

reaperhound2000

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 12, 2007
i have built a nice coop and have 6 hens that are about 8 months old and i have had them since they were chicks, i have been putting wheat straw in the elevated boxes but they keep kicking it out on the ground and i still have no eggs, and it does have about an 1 and a half inch lip on it so they have to work to get it out.. and they wont sleep in the boxes they sleep perched at the top of the enclosure... any help would be appreciated

Hey there Reaper...welcome. As for the nest boxes....you dont want them to sleep in them. They will poopy all over them and when they DO start laying, well....yuk, messy. Do they have a roost inside?? They like to sleep high up, away from predators. Maybe try some pine shaveings in the nest boxes, and another 1/2 inch to 1 inch lip. My guess is that they are clearing the nest boxes, looking for seed in the hay? Thats why I would go with pine shaveings. No seed to root around for.

Yep, I have to agree. Don't want them sleeping or looking for eggs in there. And yeah, the lip should be 4" You might try some way of making them dark too. Chickens like to lay eggs in dark places they think are safe.

You may also want to add fake eggs to your nest boxes, if you haven't already. You can use golf balls, plastic easter eggs ones filled with sand or buy ceramic ones that look real from a craft store.

Do your chickens free range or do you have an enclosed run attached to your coop?

Back
Top Bottom