new hen/egg issues

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mrbaker30, Aug 5, 2016.

1. mrbaker30

mrbaker30 New Egg

Aug 5, 2016
    hey all....i just joined and just got my hens. well, i've had them about a month now. the farm where i bought them told me i'd get eggs the first of august. i have one RIR and two buff orpingtons. the RIR laid her first egg on june 28th. she laid for three days, skipped a day, laid two more and hasn't laid for three days now.

i also found a very brittle egg in the box....so brittle the slightest touch caused it to crumble. i also found a leathery egg that was crushed the following day and another leathery egg just today.

they eat GMO free food from the farm where they were raised, some scratch in the morning and seem to be happy....i'm not sure what's happening.

there was a hole in the ground in the coop. i'm afraid it's a snake hole or some vermin stealing my eggs.....help!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas mrbarker30, and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. Do your hens have access to crushed oyster shell? This is a calcium source that leads to hard eggshells.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I agree with redsoxs, do you have shell out for them? Also new layers can sometimes lay pretty funky eggs untill they get their laying machines in full working order.
    Here is a lovely article on eggs quality problems ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you think the hole you found was made by a predator OR your hens? They do like to dig. Are your girls getting layer feed, with a side holder of crushed oyster shell - they can take free choice if desired?.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by