New Hen House build

We live on 21+ acres in a small Northern California town. We bought the land in 2001 and have lived here for about 8 years; we love it. I think I would have a difficult time adjusting if I had to live in the city again.
Thank you for your kind remarks.

Last edited:
It's looking fabulous!
thumbsup.gif

It’s been a long time since I updated this thread…

I have been working on the hen house but usually until late in the evenings and the lighting just hasn’t been on my side for pictures.

I was able to install the 3/8” plywood sheathing. I filled the seams with a flexible caulk and used wood filler for the screw holes. They've been primed and painted.. The pictures show where I needed to add a little touch up filler on some imperfections I discovered after the first coat of paint went on.
I have some left over crown molding that I will use to conceal the joint where the ceiling and the walls meet. I’m using some leftover poplar trim that did not make the cut on my house build for finishing the windows. The first one turned out good but some of the material is pretty twisted; I’ll have to get creative on the second window. Sorry I don’t have a pic of that yet.

The most substantial portion of my progress is the hardware cloth I attached to the run. I started with the bottom so I could bury the hardware cloth and cover the ditch to make installation a little easier for the upper portions of the run.
I used the loader on my tractor and a couple of tie downs to help pull the hardware cloth taught before securing it to the wood with lath screws.
Unfortunately my box of screws ran out before I could attach the last 5’ piece.
I snapped these pics just before the daylight ran out.

I really appreciate your kind remarks and thank you for looking.

The interior is taking a bit longer than I had anticipated..
I've finished the crown molding; It was a bit of a pain as they've been stored in this shed for several years now and they were a little twisted.
Trim for the windows. Trim for the pop door and a cover to conceal the motor.
I used under counter puck lights that are mounted just above the metal screen (continuous vent) that runs the perimeter of the ceiling.
Still some minor touch up paint to do.

Next on the to do list is the in-wall feeder. Idea borrowed from coolcanoechick.

Thanks for looking

When can I move in? Seriously, that space is prettier than my house.

I have an wall feeder too and it works wonderfully. I made it big enough to fit 50lbs of feed, so I just buy the bag and dump it is. Saves a ton of space.

Back
Top Bottom