New hen quit laying halfway through. Reason to worry?

Kiiarah

Chirping
Jul 22, 2021
Last week we brought home 3 new girls to add to our flock of only 2. One was already squatting and has a very red comb and wattles. We figured she would likely lay soon but were not aware whether she already was or not. Well, we found our first egg from them last night. We assumed it was her, but didn't actually see her do it. So today I let them out in a closed off part of the garage for a visit before getting a proper nest box set up. She beat me to the punch and decided she was going to make a nest out of paper towels and grocery bags that were sitting on a table next to her coop. At this point, in something of a panic, I grabbed the nearest appropriately sized cardboard box, tossed in some torn up paper towels, and set it on the table and she went right in. She then spent 40+ minutes in there scratching around, getting up, lying down, panting like crazy, before finally exiting with no egg laid.

After she seemingly gave up, I got the box properly prepared, with pine shavings as liner and a lip to keep her from just scratching them out. However, now she seems to have no interest in finishing the job. Do I need to be concerned that she didn't finish laying? Can they hold eggs for a bit or is it dangerous to start and not finish? She did lay one just yesterday and there are no signs of egg binding, she is walking fine and no lumps around her vent that I can find. Seems like she just tabled it for the time being (no pun intended).

Also, how does everyone accommodate their laying hens that have to stay in quarantine after arriving home? The housing is about 16 sq ft, but not great to attach a proper nest box to, though we do have a plastic one from TSC on hand that we could try to find a way to attach if needed. Since she already went into and tried to use the box I feel like maybe I should stick with that instead of changing it up. Will a carboard box with an entrance hole and shavings be adequate for a few more weeks? She seems to really want to go out into the main part of the garage to find somewhere cozy (but this was before any nest box was available). I just feel terrible that she is cooped up with the two others with so little privacy and having to lay on top of that. I want to make her as comfortable as I can. Any suggestions? Am I doing enough for her?

The cardboard box should be fine until you get them situated elsewhere.

If she's a new layer, then she may have been going through the motions today and will lay an egg in the morning (overnight? since you found one last night). Her timing may be off with being in new surroundings.

I would wait and see, let her relax and adjust - if she's acting normal, eating/drinking, then very likely she's ok.

Back
Top Bottom