New hen still not being accepted

melroseladi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Melrose, Florida
It has been 5 days now and the guineas are still not accepting the new hen into the flock. I had 1 hen and 2 males so thought I would add another hen to balance things out. So far it's not working. They stopped going into their igloo at night to roost and will only roost in the run now. I caged the new hen and put the cage up on the roosts, secured to the chainlink, and they will roost next to her cage BUT come the crack of dawn they are pounding relentlessly at the cage. My run has a dividing gate so I took the new hen and put her on the other side of the run. I just couldn't stand watching her cooped up in that cage any longer. Both my males, even the less dominant one, have been trying to attack her through the gate and was able to grab some feathers from her neck. Even my original hen is getting in on the action.

I am at a loss at what to do. I don't want her to have to stay all alone segregated to half of the run. I don't want my others to not be able to enjoy the room of the entire run. Will they ever accept her into the flock or is this a lost cause? Don't they realize she is a hen?

You'll probably need to keep her separate, but close for at least a few weeks until they get used to her. I've learned from experience that small flocks are a little harder to integrate new birds into, there's usually too much focus on the newbie, especially if it's just one newbie. They will just have to get used to her, but obviously it's not going to happen quickly.

Eventually one of the males should claim her, since it is breeding season, but you never know with Guineas. After another week, if you see less aggression directed at her, you might try letting her in with them for short periods while you are around to break up any scuffles... play referee.

Also moving things around in their coop and run and even adding new things (like a bale of straw, a dog crates, new perches etc) might help to be a good distraction and take the focus off of her. She also needs places to hide, but not get penned behind if they go after her.

You could also try caging the extra male and putting the cage in her half of the pen for a few days and then try letting him out and see how it goes.

If possible build a bigger area for her to stay in until they all settle down. I know not everyone can do that, I'm just offering another suggestion for finding the happy medium to everyone being more comfy/happy.

Best of luck, just give it some time.

Last edited:
Thanks again PeepsCA. I guess I am just a little surprised by the males attitude. She is a HEN for goodness sake and Rocky needs a wife, lol. I am going to keep giving it a go and pray that it works out. She really is a lovely hen and I think if the boys would give her a chance they would really like her. I just hate her being alone, especially during breeding season.

About 2 months ago I bought a pair of pied guineas... Today was the first day that my other males would let them join the original flock and eat with them.... They will eventually accept the hen it just takes time

It's always taken mine a good bit to get used to new friends. Guineas are whacko that way. Sometimes as long as 6 weeks. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help. The new hen was a rehome after the males were killed in her flock. She is really a lovely hen, a tad noisier then Sophia but I can understand that. I just want her to belong to a flock and not be alone. I will give it time and see if they eventually accept her.

I knew that they would have to get used to her BUT since she was a hen I was expecting it to not take very long. A male I could understand the other males not accepting and being extremely aggressive towards, but I honestly didn't expect them to be so brutal towards a female.

These guineas have certainly been a learning experience for me, and thank goodness for everybody on here that help us newbies. I really want to be a good owner and give the guineas the best life I possibly can.

Back
Top Bottom