1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Hen... When should she lay eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charlene1234, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Charlene1234

Charlene1234 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    I bought a supposedly "two-year old" hen last week. I thought it might take her a couple days to acclimate but she still hasn't laid any eggs? They are free ranging during the day but she does know where the nest box is and we have some golf balls in there for her to see... and it's where they roost every night. Does it normally take that long to acclimate to new surroundings? She was super mean the first day but now she's getting along well with everyone. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I got six hens about two weeks ago. One of them laid her first egg the first day and has consistently given us eggs. The other five are still not laying. I guess every chicken is different?

I am sorry I can't be more helpful.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yep...stress! and if they are two years old, they may not lay as much as when they were younger. depends on what they were fed also.

best wishes for lots of eggs!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree with the above posts also... if she's free ranging then she could actually be laying eggs in hiding somewhere.

Most likely though, she's still stressed and just isn't laying yet.

5. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Quote:...How long do hens lay eggs for? I thought about two years was how long they produced eggs for...

6. Charlene1234

Charlene1234 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    Thanks for the info. She's been acting really funny today. She's hanging out in the nest box and going in and out and clucking up a storm - so I run out to see and NOTHING! I've been feeding her egg laying pellets since she got here. Maybe it'll happen. I thought that a two-year old would lay well...? Maybe not?

7. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

It took my rescue hen about a week to a week and a half to get comfortable with us and now is laying an egg a day for us [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by