New Hen

hfletcher

Chirping
Feb 17, 2022
Fitzgerald, GA
My husband's best friend has rental property and their last renters left behind 4 chickens. Since apparently I am the neighborhood's bird charity, they asked me if I would take them. I know two of them are Rhode Island Reds, there is one Golden Laced Wynadotte, but the gray chicken is throwing me for a loop. Is she an Easter Egger or what could she be? I haven't gotten them to my house yet but figured I would ask here!
273999156_2474866302649400_6460624416903377003_n.jpg

Did you check her for mites/lice? Thats what I would worry about for now. Any feather picking? Do you see pin feathers? What do you feed?

What color are ther feet? Can't really see her that well, but I am leaning toward her being a SLW.

When I go back to get her, I'll get a better picture. I honestly wasn't paying attention to her foot coloration. I was just looking to make sure no one looked sick when I went to check them out. All 4 chickens looked healthy with no health conditions.

When I go back to get her, I'll get a better picture. I honestly wasn't paying attention to her foot coloration. I was just looking to make sure no one looked sick when I went to check them out. All 4 chickens looked healthy with no health conditions.
Mites are really small. I am posting the photo below because the bird was INFESTED with mites. They were everywhere. And she looks fine, right? I inherited her from a neighbor and I can't say how grateful I am to have quarantined them first. Since they are your only birds, I would check them over for bugs and other issues.

Attachments

• 1D31742E-2185-4428-B48F-8FD634820B6A.jpeg
    1D31742E-2185-4428-B48F-8FD634820B6A.jpeg
    544.8 KB · Views: 3
Oh that's my plan is to quarantine them all before they get around the rest of the flock. I'd rather be on the safe side than to expose the rest of them to something. I will definitely be going over them more closely before I bring them home though.
Oh I didn't realize you had more birds! I always deworm new birds. I like to use Valbazen, which is a soft med. Changing shoes is a must. Same with changing clothes when going in between flocks. Good luck! Very smart to quarantine first, you won't regret it. Most of the time, the new birds have no issues at all, but better safe than sorry!

Oh I didn't realize you had more birds! I always deworm new birds. I like to use Valbazen, which is a soft med. Changing shoes is a must. Same with changing clothes when going in between flocks. Good luck! Very smart to quarantine first, you won't regret it. Most of the time, the new birds have no issues at all, but better safe than sorry!
I do! I have 13 silkies, 3 RIR, 4 ducks, and 2 turkeys. I'm generally the neighborhood charity when it comes to birds they've decided they don't want anymore. I always do my best to be thorough when bringing in new birds to the property. I'd hate to lose them all because I was being slack. Thank you for your advice though, because I really need to look them over closer when I pick them up this afternoon. I had went down this morning to look at them and to see what their temperament was since I knew nothing beforehand other than they had been abandoned.

I do! I have 13 silkies, 3 RIR, 4 ducks, and 2 turkeys. I'm generally the neighborhood charity when it comes to birds they've decided they don't want anymore. I always do my best to be thorough when bringing in new birds to the property. I'd hate to lose them all because I was being slack. Thank you for your advice though, because I really need to look them over closer when I pick them up this afternoon. I had went down this morning to look at them and to see what their temperament was since I knew nothing beforehand other than they had been abandoned.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

This is a good article, definitely worth a read.

Comb, head neck and some visible lacing makes me think SLW too .. albeit very bad quality. Are those soft feathers along her back? Maybe she's a bit of a mutt.
If I had to guess, I would say all four of the birds were probably from some type of assortment at Tractor Supply during the last chick days. I just know when I started looking up birds, I didn't see anything that completely matched her. So I wouldn't be surprised if she's not a bit of a mutt.

Back
Top Bottom