new hens beating up new younger rooster,

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkymom, Oct 13, 2014.

1. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    well ive been gone from here for 4 yrs, was just given 6 sex link hens i think a few yrs old, people were moveing, 2 weeks later rescued a young roo, this yrs bird, hes bigger than the hens but they wont let him out of coop and beat on him if i put him out, i sit by him so he can get some sun and forage a bit and get treats? never had this problem before , will they eventually accept him?

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    try putting him in a rabbit cage or pen of some kind, where they can not hurt him but they can see or hear each other\, and maybe socialize a bit through the wire. they can mix later.

3. silkymom

Nov 20, 2009
    thanks, i did that fir 2 days, but now i think ill actually separate the pen, ive been feeding and watering him inside, they dont mess with him in there. and hes making mad dashes out , the last 2 days, poor guy im mad at my hens, after woork tomarrow im cutting a new door and giveing him a run, hope they learn to get along.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    They probably will eventually. You might have success if you spend some time just letting him range with them, while you supervise.

5. silkymom

Nov 20, 2009
    well tonight it started raining soon after i gave the boy his tv dinner of garden treats, and the (actually really nice pet girls that hate boys, ) went in my boy came out for a rain bath and some mudd scratchin, i was happy, here i think are pics of my (i didnt plan on them flock, after 2 bumblefoot surgerys one with healing broken leg and of corse, the hated young roo. these birds were all rescues, people moveing, and roos to be butcherd, the hens i was told were rohd island reds, but i think sex links,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by