New Hens Being Bullied!!!!

birdwrangler057

Songster
Oct 19, 2016
South Carolina
Hey everyone!
I am having problems moving my three EE's in with the rest of my hens. I have a smaller coop that they have been staying in, but I am going to try to use that one to raise some chicks. The problem is, when I put the EE's in with my other birds, they just get tormented and pecked. I had this issue before, and my hen had bleeding wings, and a bald head from it... Terrible. Do y'all have any solutions on how to get them excepted? Thanks!

I have also been observing the hens since I moved them, and it is basically my to RIR's who torment them. The other hens will peck every once and a while, but not as much as the RIR's, they actually chase and attack the new hens!

Sounds like typical integration issues. More details will help us help you. How many RIRs do you have? How big is the area (in feet by feet) you are putting them in? What does it look like - just flat, bare ground and floor, or do you have hiding places or multiple levels for roosting? Speaking of roosting, how much roosting space do you have? Multiple feeders and waterers?

Sounds like typical integration issues. More details will help us help you. How many RIRs do you have? How big is the area (in feet by feet) you are putting them in? What does it look like - just flat, bare ground and floor, or do you have hiding places or multiple levels for roosting? Speaking of roosting, how much roosting space do you have? Multiple feeders and waterers?

I have two RIR's, there is one roosting bar, a small loft, and a larger main loft. The ground is flat, and the coop is a mobile A-frame which is 10'x5', my chickens also free range every day. I am working on a run currently. Thanks!

I can also supply hiding barriers, I have done it before.

I think your instincts on what you need to do are kicking in. You need to provide the space and perches and barricades so the new hens can evade the bullies.

I've found that, instead of merging new hens with old hens all at once, it works better to take it gradually. When I introduce a new hen to my flock, they have a safe pen in which to feel secure while they observe the other flock members. They get only short periods mingling with the flock at first, gradually increasing exposure over a two to three week period. This helps them to grow self confidence, and they're better able then to cope with aggression from the established members. Making new hens cope with the pecking order all at once, can rob them of self confidence, leading to fear reactions which stimulate aggressive behavior in the bullies.

You might also want to add another perch for more roosting options. Even a low, portable perch will help the situation at roosting time. Generally, though, night time is less stressful for newcomers than daytime. You will probably need to put the new hens in their new coop at night until they get the idea it's their new home.

I think your instincts on what you need to do are kicking in. You need to provide the space and perches and barricades so the new hens can evade the bullies.

I've found that, instead of merging new hens with old hens all at once, it works better to take it gradually. When I introduce a new hen to my flock, they have a safe pen in which to feel secure while they observe the other flock members. They get only short periods mingling with the flock at first, gradually increasing exposure over a two to three week period. This helps them to grow self confidence, and they're better able then to cope with aggression from the established members. Making new hens cope with the pecking order all at once, can rob them of self confidence, leading to fear reactions which stimulate aggressive behavior in the bullies.

You might also want to add another perch for more roosting options. Even a low, portable perch will help the situation at roosting time. Generally, though, night time is less stressful for newcomers than daytime. You will probably need to put the new hens in their new coop at night until they get the idea it's their new home.

I actually installed an extra perch for my hens when they were younger, and I never removed it; Lucky me. Tectically I have been doing that because they always hang with the older ones when free ranging, and see them from across the yard.

UPDATE;

I was gone all day today, and when I came back the hens were hanging fine with the older ones! There is a little pecking, but not severe. Awesome for me! Thanks for all the advice!

:thumbsup

They just have to establish a pecking order once they do that they should be fine. When I intergrate new chickens I just leave them alone. After a few days of fighting they figure it out and are fine.

They just have to establish a pecking order once they do that they should be fine. When I intergrate new chickens I just leave them alone. After a few days of fighting they figure it out and are fine.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom