New hens eating others' eggs

sheepchase

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
Southeastern Virginia
I had a flock of 10 hens and 2 roos. They're still fairly young 8-9 months old. They free range in the back yard with about an acre and have a coop that's about 20x15 and 10tall with roosts, food, and nesting boxes. They only really stay in at night and to lay and munch. I got 4 three year old hens from someone that couldn't have them anymore. They were in a tiny prefab coop before. They seemed to integrate well after their separation period. A few squabbles, but to be expected. The new ones don't like to be out as much as my other ones, but it's only been a month, and theyre not used to it. They can stay inside for all I care. The problem is that at least one of the new birds will peck at or eat the eggs from the old ones. I'm seeing q free less eggs a day, and one of them clearly had yolk on her.
How do I stop this? We are doing a new setup in May to accommodate some more birds. I am planning on having the nesting boxes a little more separate from the "living room" in the new setup.

They have all flock , grit, and oyster shells always available, and soldier fly grubs as a treat when I need to gather them up when the dogs go out (twice a day). They were introduced first by sight. I had them in a prefab coop during quarantine they could see far away. I moved the coop for a week to where they could interact, but not touch after a few weeks. Then we introduced around dusk. They pecked a bit, then everyone went inside and settled down for the night.
I'll have to try the soap. 😜 I'd love to see her face!

Good news. Apparently they had figured a way out of the yard and we're laying eggs in their old little coop I use for quarantine and introductions. I was quite surprised to find 20 eggs out there while I was cleaning 🤯

I am having this issue now although I really need help as it's been months. I've been in and out of hospice, and over that time my mom handled my chickens and they developed this. I am trying everything, even filling fake eggs with mustard. It is my entire flock and they camp out in the coop, wait until an egg is dropped, and attack. i also added some flock blocks and additional change of diet. Today is my first day, but has anyone been able to win this battle with a whole flock? I will be making my own thread about this to gather more attention as well.

Back
Top Bottom