New hens not laying

Lifesong Farm

Songster
9 Years
Nov 14, 2010
Noble County
I purchased 4 1yr old Salmon Faverolles last week. I found 1 egg the next day and that's it. I have not seen an egg since. How long should it take for them to start laying again. I want to get some eggs in an incubator.

depending on yoru light schedule you have htem on they may not lay till spring. or inntermittantly till spring when teh light "time" is enough for them to do there laying cycle. I had some buttercups i jsut got that are 3 years old do the same thing. to me. Got them they layed 2 eggs and haven't done a thing since
roll.png
Sometimes when moving chickens it can break the cycle due to "new feed" new enviroment" etc. hope that helps

It can take up to a month after a move for hens to start laying again. And that's assuming you are extending the day with lighting??? And I hate to ask...but you have a rooster??? That'll be needed to incubate eggs...lol
tongue.png

Quote:
tongue2.gif
There is a light in the coop so that part is taken care of. I put it in when my Brahmas decided they wanted more light. I have 3 roosters. I plan to put the hens with each rooster and collect eggs for that week then switch out.

The stress of moving has caused them to shut down. It may be a significant period before they resume egg production. You do know that a rooster's sperm remains viable in a hen's reproductive tract from 3 to 4 weeks after mating her, correct? If you wish to get chicks from each of the three roosters you will have to allow the hens' reproductive system to "clear" for that period of time.

Stress of the move. Find out what they were eating and what light schedule they were on before you moved them. Also were they laying before?

celebrate.gif
YES!!! I found 1 Faverolle egg today!
wee.gif

Now hopefully the other 3 will start laying and they do it in the nest instead of the sawdust under the roosts.
I am still impatiently waiting for my incubator.

Back
Top Bottom