New hens not very hungry

Ballerina Bird

Songster
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
It's day 2 with my new pita pinta pullets (10 weeks old), and at 6:45 am I changed their water and opened their feeder (I have a treadle feeder that they are too light to operate, so I prop it open with a brick during the day and close it at night to keep creatures out). I thought they'd be rushing the feeder, based on what I've read here, but they were basically somewhat desultory and don't appear to be chowing down yet. One of them sort of quietly trilled at me, but I can't tell if this is sociability or distress (these are my first chickens). Are they still just getting used to the new environment? Or could they have become sick from feeling stressed at the change?

The feeder is different and the feed is probably different as well. Anytime you change something, it can be met with apprehension. I would put some feed in a pie plate or shallow feed pan for a few days while they settle in.

Thank you! They did eat some out of the feeder yesterday, but I'm sure you're right that they are generally pretty discombobulated. I will put some food out in a dish; I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom