new hens were laying -- but not anymore

frannyfran

Hatching
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Hi all -- I searched a bit for this query, but didn't see anything. Sorry if this is a common question, but I'm a very new (& proud!) owner of chickens, so I'm trying to get things just right...

I have seven hens that are about five months old, who aren't laying yet.

I just added two bantam hens to my flock, who were laying at the farm where we got them. They're not laying at our home though, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if they just need time to adjust. They eat organic feed, all of our kitchen scraps (save for onions/garlic), some crushed egg shell...and they've got lots of space and a nice coop...

We've had them for a week. Is this normal?

Thanks so much for your advice!

I don't think a week is out of the ordinary for a chicken that is in a new place. The first eggs you got were already "in the works" from before they left their old home. So considering it takes that many days to get going again once they adjust to your place, I wouldn't expect eggs until at least one and a half to 2 weeks after they arrive.

Chickens hate change, so whenever you make a change that stresses them, like adding new members to the flock, it affects laying. Give them some time, and you'll be getting eggs.

Thanks so much -- I figured they're just adjusting, but I want to make sure I'm treating them right. I can't wait for my first eggs!

Cheers--

Be sure they've always got access to crushed oyster shell, esp. if you're giving them extra stuff besides their balanced layer feed. Otherwise, they may not have enough calcium over time to keep producing good eggshells.

Nah, your all good. They're just adjusting to their new environment. Give them some time, and they'll be laying in no time.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom