New hens

shmeggs

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
I have a coop with 4 red sex links they are close to 2 years old, a week ago I introduced 2 barred rocks which are also about 2 years old, after a week the new ones are still being picked on. I let them out to free range today and soon as they all went in headed to roost the picking started again.

When adults are introduced to adults the new ones are seen as intruders to be driven off before they take over the territory. It can take a long time for new ones to be accepted. The current members need to forget that they don't know the new ones, this can take months sometimes. Be careful the new ones aren't harmed, chickens can peck each other to death. It's usually best to make the new ones a separate area for them to go into when you can't watch so they aren't pecked, until such time as the flock accepts them.

When adults are introduced to adults the new ones are seen as intruders to be driven off before they take over the territory. It can take a long time for new ones to be accepted. The current members need to forget that they don't know the new ones, this can take months sometimes. Be careful the new ones aren't harmed, chickens can peck each other to death. It's usually best to make the new ones a separate area for them to go into when you can't watch so they aren't pecked, until such time as the flock accepts them.

I agree and remember that roosting time is a chaotic affair at the best of times, so any new members are likely to bear the brunt. I recently introduced some new flock members. After living in a separate run for 5 weeks, but letting them out to mingle with the main flock for a few hours a day for the last week, I built more roost space away from the main roosts and put them together. Thats three weeks ago and some flock members still like to give the newbies a peck now and again, but as they free range during the day and have 4 separate feeding stations, the day time squabbles are minimal (usually caused by a newbie forgetting her manners).

They may remain in sub flocks, or eventually be accepted totally but theres not too much to be done about that.

Cheers
CT

Back
Top Bottom