New here and a little too late I'm afraid.

Happ

Hatching
Jun 29, 2016
Indiana
I've lost a rooster. I'm pretty sure it was due to sour crop. Just not sure if it was secondary to something else. There are other things that all happened and happened fast. He had a swollen leg and couldn't find anything at first. Cleaned the coop changed bedding. 2 days later I noticed him become a loner. He then quit crowing and an awful sweet smell filled the newly cleaned coop.. I felt the crop it was mushy and heard gurgling. I quickly induced vomiting. Almost causing myself to get sick from the smell. Isolated him, and he seemed to feel better but noticed the flies just wouldn't leave him alone .. he passed the next day. So I went to clean coop and sanitize again (3 days after just cleaning it) and found a massive amount of maggots long gray ones.. could these been the cause of the onset? While he was a mean rooster to humans and k9 he protected his flock the best I had ever seen. I like to think him becoming a loner and hiding he was still trying to protect them. Just would like to know what caused the onset.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your rooster. I'd suggest you start a thread in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum section with as much details as you can re what he ate, his age, everything you think might help us figure out the cause.

Hi :welcome

Sorry to hear about you losing your rooster :hugs It's always very sad when we lose members of the flock. It does sound like he a few issues going in and I'm sure if you post in the link that Sumi left for you members will be able to help you.

Good luck with the rest of your flock :frow

Back
Top Bottom