New here and just started a batch -UPDATE -I saw movement

Hart, I just love your incubator :eek: Nice job
ya.gif

Jody, welcome
frow.gif
I hope your chickies all hatch
fl.gif

Well, I'm on day 4. When I got home from work yesterday the humidity was down to 28 percent. It was at 50 percent when I left yesterday morning. I opened it and added water, but the temp wouldn't come back up. It was about 1 degree to low. Then I remembered the fan. I opened the the incubator again and discovered that the fan had moved slightly. I readjusted it, and like magic the temp started going up. Of course, stupid me, I had messed with the adjustment lever. It took over 2 hours to get it back to normal. Live and learn.

My eggs are shipped eggs, so I will be happy if even half of them hatch. How well do you guys do with shipped eggs?
Jody

Last edited:
My hatch rate went as followed

ebay: 0% silkies

BYC Forum: 50% Silkies or 15 out of 24 or something like that

Then my latest hatch in my new incubator

Ebay: 96% buff orpingtons or 11 out of 15 eggs

Welcome to BYC!! You will find out that these are the best group of people ever!! I had my very first hatch this month and had the best support!!

My hatch was from shipped eggs (hinkjc) and out of 14 eggs 12 hatched
yippiechickie.gif

GOOD LUCK
hugs.gif

Yesterday was day 6. I got home and found my temp had raised to about 101.5!! When I set the incubator up I put a brand new wafer in it. I'm so mad at the stupid thing. I made adjustments last night and this morning to it. It took a total of 1/2 of a rotation ot the adjustment lever to get the temp back to averaging 99.5. I tried candling the eggs last night. I don't think I'm very good at it. I' m pretty sure 2 had blood rings. The rest I'm not sure of. I didn't see anything that looked like veins and no movement. Two had a very blotchy appearance throughout the shell. I am going to study video clips and photos today on the internet and try again over the weekend. I don't want to throw anybody away that might hatch.

I'm afraid that they are all dead.
barnie.gif
I really wanted Jersey Giants. I ordered the eggs from Ideal. The only other place I found that sells Jersey Giant eggs can't send them until the middle of March at the earliest. That's too late for me. I need to have the babies hatched and done in the brooder before trail riding season starts. Does anybody have any Jersey Giant eggs available. I have access to another incubator if this one turns out to a dud.

I hope you have a better hatch than anticipated at this point!

There are some folks on here that have Jersey Giant eggs from time to time - if you want some eggs, post a thread over in the 'buy sell trade' category and hopefully one of them will see it.

Welcome to the rather addicting forum!

don't give up yet - day six is pretty early to candle.
hang in there - it's a bumpy ride but fun for sure,
and welcome!

Update - I candled again last night. I still can't see veins, just dark blobs. The good news is that one blob moved. Maybe it was waving at me!!
yippiechickie.gif
The bad news is that a few looked like they had no air cell. I might just be really be bad at canlding. Maybe the cells are there, and I'm just blind. I'm pretty sure two had blood rings. I'm afraid to throw anybody out just in case. I will look again.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom