New here and just started a batch -UPDATE -I saw movement

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
I am new here. On Friday I put 12 Black Jersey Giant eggs and one mixed breed egg in the incubator. I have a small flock of pet chickens already. The BJG eggs I received mail order. The mixed breed egg is from my neighbors hen. I am on day 3 and very anxious.

I have hatched a small number of eggs in the past using my broodie banties, but I am using the incubator now. My neighbor is letting me use his styrofoam incubator. My husband installed an old computer fan in it to make it forced air.

I knew it might take a while to get the temperature stabilized when I first put the eggs in, so on Friday night I got up and checked it about every 2 hours all night long. The temperature and humidity were fine. On Saturday night I looked forward to sleepng all night, but my little dog had other ideas. Every two hours he woke me up and wouldn't go back to sleep until we went to check the the strange styrofoam thing in the spare bathroom. I know he has no clue what it's all about, but he must have thought it was important because I was paying so much attention to it. Yesterday I tried not to pay so much attention to it so the dog wouldn't feel he needed to wake me regularly. It worked. I got to sleep all night last night.

The temp in the incubator ranges between 99.1 and 99.9. The fan is running well. The turner appears to be working, and the humidity is running about 50%. Keep your fingers crossed.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Welcome, Jody!

I set 24 eggs late saturday night. We can be hatch buddies! Sometimes we need someone to hold our hands to be able to keep them off the bator in the end. LOL

Good luck with your hatch!

I'll need the group support. My husband thinks I'm nuts. My kids are grown up and moved out. At least the dog is supportive!
smile.png
Actually, DH is supportive too despite his belief in my insanity.

Quote:
Yeah, I've got one of those too. I just keep making yummy things with the fresh eggs when I have them and he doesn't complain too much. Of course we're about to have three times as many chickens as we've ever had. We'll see how he does then!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom