New here and need some advice! Link to pics inside

MistyK

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 17, 2007
My children won 8 chicks at the county fair, LOL. I've always wanted layers anyway, so we're excited! The chicks are about 3/4 weeks old and seem to be doing well, but I do have a couple of questions . . .

a) the waterer keeps getting filled with pine shavings! Any way to prevent this?

b) I have looked and looked and LOOKED online for housing ideas. Leaning toward a chicken tractor of some sort. I'd like one that they could live in, possibly. I've seen about a zillion websites, a few plans (maybe three?) and love the A-frame style with the housing areas at the ends . . .but can't locate any plans for that. My ds, 14, and I will probably be doing this project, and while I know plans aren't NECESSARY, I'd sure love to have some! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much. And if you'd like to see a picture of a few of our babies, you can check my blog. . .

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MistyKrasawski

Misty

Congratulations on the chicks -I hope they do turn out to be layers!

a) Raising the waterer on a brick or other object will help -it should be no higher than the chick's back, any lower and they can easily climb in it and fowl it.

b) If you haven't seen this page of chicken tractors you should check it out -around the middle there's an exploded view of a nice A-frame.
http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

Good luck!
smile.png

I know exactly how you feel!! I obsessed for weeks about what type of coop/tractor and what style. I'm a single mom with two boys 11 and 13 and I'm proud to say we built ours ourself!!! I too liked the triangle/a-frame style tractor. We replicated one of the Forsham ones from the UK!! If you google Forsham you should find the site. Any way, we love ours!! I don't know how to put the link in but if you search BYC for tractors you should see our post. It has pics of the beginning of the building of it. I have some finished pics but am at work now and don't have them with. I will post them this evening for you though and you can see what you think. It wasn't that hard really and we have absolutely no carpentry skills believe me!!

Back
Top Bottom