new here and needing help

nlynes

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
I have two Rhode island reds, two leg horns and a duck. All five I got at the same time in February. I now have two more chicks I got about two months ago and am trying to introduce to the flock. One of my reds and my duck are awful mean to the babies. Once they start in on the babies the others follow suit. It has gotten to the point one of my babies has had it's back pecked clean. They are scared to death to be out with the flock and won't even go in the coop at night so I am still bringing them in at night. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
YES, separate them before the other birds kill them.

Chicken pecking order and all - you can't just throw new birds in with an established flock. You need a gradual introduction where you use a wire barrier to divide the coop and run - one side for newbies, one for oldies. This way they can see each other with no harm done. After some time the oldies won't be so interested in them.

I see there is a good several months difference in ages. Wait till the chicks are about the same size as your older birds, before integrating them into the flock. You can use the above barrier method or have the new babies in crates - so the older birds can view them and get used to them being there. Of course your new ones have been traumatized badly and are in no rush to meet them.

I did use the crate method for nearly two weeks. My duck is the worst with them. Once she starts the others start in. I'll go back to using the crate method and keep bringing them in at night.

It would be a very good idea to keep them separated for now. When the new ones are older, there are tips you can use to help with integration on the "Flock Peacekeeping" page on the website linked in my sig below.
It's good you're looking out for your little guys!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. If you need any specific information on your duck, do take advantage of our duck experts on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks. There is a good article on introducing new chickens into an already existing flock at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in integrating the new birds to your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I don't know much about duck's either. X2 on the above advice.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

How old are these chicks? If they are too young, they are going to be harmed by the older birds. They need to be at least 3 or 4 months old before you mix them in. And the separation cage time should last about 4 weeks prior to mixing. When you do mix them in, add more feeding and watering stations as the older flock will want to guard these areas and can starve them out. Make sure you have enough space in your coop and run. 5 square feet per bird in the coop, 10 square feet per bird in the run.

If you have a hen that is very aggressive, you may need to cage her or even use pinless peepers on her to control her aggression. Generally it is one bird that starts it and they all join in.

So make sure these chicks are old enough and nearly the same size as the others, use a 4 week intro from behind a cage and add more food and water stations at mixing time. Cage or use pinless peepers on meanies.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

One is three and the other I 3 1/2. Like is said it's one red and the duck that start it. I'll keep em in the separator for a couple more weeks and continue to bring them in at night. The red is even aggressive towards anyone who goes in the run.

Back
Top Bottom