New here and new to be chicken raiser

Chumlord

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
Norfolk VA just passed an ordinance allowing BYCs yesterday... I plan on raising 4 hens in the spring and I need everything to get started first of all I need to construct a coop and I have no idea where to start, any tips, links, advice on first time coop/run building is appreciated ... I plan to be ready for chickens in early spring ... march time frame.

I plan to build the coop adjacent to my 24 x 30 garage on the west side of the structure, this gives me 24 feet long by say 6 to 8 feet for the run/coop this location makes it convenient to add electricity for heat and lights. I certainly could go bigger than 6 to 8 foot wide but if not required I would prefer to stay within a 20 x 8 foot footprint that is 160 square feet or 40 sq. foot per hen for the entire structure run and coop ... Maximum amount of birds is 4 hens in Norfolk. I plan on raising standard hens.

Thank you in advance. Lou

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
yesss.gif
Welcome to BYC. Go to the "Raising backyard chickens" forum and locate the 'Coop and run design and construction--' section for some ideas.

Top Bottom