1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Here, and New to Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NovaAman, Aug 6, 2011.

1. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

HI![​IMG] My name is Nova. I am from Michigan. I just started raising chickens this year. I got my first chickens, Silkies, 3 buff and 2 black in April. I built a small coop out of a dog house that I got from TSC remnant lumber that I got from the re-source store and a rotozip tool, since I didn't have a saw. Very fun. I got silkies because my boys, 5 and 2 wanted chickens since the neighbors had them, and silkies were the suggested breed. Next thing I knew I have 2 leghorns. My puggle took one of them out. Rotten dog:mad:. I have since then chicken wire the whole bottom edge of the kids/dogs part of the yard, so my rotten girl can't get out by digging under the fence. HA! Take that Miss Ruby! Well, I wasn't happy with just 6 chickens... SO yup, I got 4 more. 2 silverlaced and 2 gold laced wyandottes. The bad heat took one of the silver laced. We had 90 percent humidity and 88 degree weather at 8 am, and she didn't take it so well.[​IMG].. Brought her in the house, and cooled her off gave her lots of water, but she still ended up passing... So now I have 9 chickens. Was I happy? Apparently not, because now I am addicted and got 7 more (free) babies. Had to build them a quick make shift housing unit... Try a huge plastic tote, I think is like 60 gallon or something, then two smaller plastic tote put one inside the other to create a hidey hole, and put that inside the big tote, the big tote on its side, on top of a heavy wooden box, an expanse of chicken wire around it, and then plastic poulty net to make a cover for the entry area, and then at night time, I wrap the whole outside around with a peice of fence that I stake, then open back up for their outside run area. Yeah, cheap and creative, and thank goodness they are small yet, all between 5-8 weeks. But NOW I have 16 chickens. Looks like 10 of them are hens for certain. I am pretty sure 4 of my silkies are roosters, and one of the cochin bantams I am thinking is a rooster too. Only 1 Silkie hen. Bummer. I am going to get another hen or two. Can't have my Silkie rooster fighting over one hen. She might get a big head.
    So now I am in the process of starting a full-sized coop that I can put all 16 birds in. Did I mention I want more? So many breeds... Who knew?[​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Looks as though chicken math has gotten to you!!! [​IMG] Hi Nova! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! Chickens are so addictive!!! Enjoy them!!! [​IMG]

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us:thumbsup [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

5. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Welcome from Texas, and I know you are going to love this site. It is about as addictive as the chickens!!!

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

WOW! That was quick! Thanks for all the welcome. I have been visiting this site for a few weeks and finally decided that I just had to join.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

9. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Welcome, Nova to BYC! I love how you "think big" when it comes to chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by