new here and new to "keeping chickens"

The Cat carrier was, a quick idea to toss in there as we had a storm come thru and I was worried bout the baby's getting wet.. it will be removed in the morning.. as this is the first rainstorm since they been discoverd.

I am serriously thinking on keeping a few. not sure if I'll do free run. or if i will build a long run. or a long run with door and free run them. we are going to fence our yard soon. so They will be free run once that is done. may as well build a coop as i'll be bulding a dog pen. and I will only keep them cooped when they have baby's. so the baby's don't get out the Chainlinks or in with the doggie.

I know i need to get chicken feed. but I had no clue they were even there till saturday, and hubby dose not cash int ill tomarrow or Tuesday. and I wont have any money till then, all mom had on her to loan me was 15 and i used that for the chickenwire.

Last edited:
Start here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/lcenter.html
Good
luck!
95611_welcome_hen.jpg

When We Ran Out My Kids Caught Bugs For Them And Gave Them A Few Spagetti Noodles, Raw Oats, Corn On The Cob, And Som Of Our Rabbit Feed Sense Most Of It Made Of Timothy Hey Which Is Good For Fiber. But That Was Just For A Day Or 2.they Done Great And Still Are.

Aww what a sweet story
smile.png
i used a very large guinea pig cage for the chicks and hung a brooder lamp above it. Used fine pine chips for bedding and medicated chick starter. My girls are 9 weeks now and just adjusted to living in the coop/run. They grow up fast! I wish you luck on your chicken journey
welcome-byc.gif

Well, howdy and welcome to BYC!

This is THE best place to learn about keeping chickens. Don't be afraid to ask any questions at all. We were all newbies once...

Mama will keep the chicks warm, no need for a brooder lamp. She sounds like an awesome Mama hen, already. You can use an old dresser drawer for a nest for them, and after Mama is through raising those chicks (anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks or so, depending upon her fortitude in shepharding them around teaching them chicken things) she will most likely start to lay eggs again. The chicks will start to lay (at least the girl chicks will!) around six months old, give or take a few weeks, depending upon the breed or crossbreed.

Fresh water daily is a must.

This will be wonderful for your kids. And you will find out quickly how interesting chickens can be, and how each has its own personality (something which surprised me when I first got chickens).

Enjoy your gift from Nature!

Back
Top Bottom