new here and ready to join in!

AhBee01

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
yo. ohio
Hi, my name is Brenda, I have been reading since summer and have not really posted an intro.
I live in Ohio. I have been raising chickens on my own since last summer. I did have chickens as a kid, but never payed them much attention.
I have 3 goats, 3 ducks and 8 chickens.
My ducks and chickens came to me thru heaven I believe, to help prepare for my fathers passing. It is a sweet story.
My Dad had been ill for some time when we got our goats, he wasn't able to see them but by pics. he kept asking me to get some geese or ducks, and I kept saying no, no, no! I really didn't want them. but one night a stray duck came walking up the drive and my oldest son saved it from being a late night snack for my cat! It was about 1am! He woke me to tell me he locked the cat up and put the duck down by the creek!
So in the morn, I went looking for it. I did find it later under my shed. I said we honey, I guess we havea duck, Dad will be pleased! I found out it was the neighbors, but asked if I could keep it if she didn't find the other ducks. This way my cat wouldn't get it and I could keep an eye on it!
well this duck got lonly fast, so we go to pick him a friend or 2! We ended up with 5 ducks and 6 chickens! My duck was so happy to have friends that he mothered them all chickens and all!
We named the big guy Paddle! He turned out to be a muscovy, and the 3 of the ducks we bought were muscovy too! So Dad was really excited. I was working on bringing a duck to visit him, but he took a turn for the worst. He passed away A year ago in Aug.
I know he wanted me to get the ducks because they would keep me busy, and they have, he was excited about us getting chickens too, so everytime I'm with my flock, i feel him with me. If it wasn't for my birds, I would be so lost, when I need to feel close to my Dad I go out and talk to my birds, and they help me feel better! I honstly believe that is way that little duck came my way! I didn't want the chickens, but now that I have them, I spend the most time with them!
Dad would be proud that we take such good care of our birds. We eat the eggs, I bake with the duck eggs. We eat the extra roosters,
and raise the ducks for meat also.
It is hard for me to do that, but I feel good knowing my birds have the best care untill it is time.
My SIL hates them, and what we do, and has tried to cause us problems, needless to say my brother and I are strained because of her, but that is another subject. Hard because they live across the street!
So that's my story. I will post some pics later.
My family, DH, Mike, our sons Kyle (19) Dustin(19) and
Michael (5)

I hope to make some new friends and look forward to all the great advice!
Happy new year,
Brenda

Welcome, Brenda! Glad to have you.
frow.gif

That is such a sweet story - i am so glad that you had your flock to help you when your dad passed. I have not had my chickens or ducks long but they have helped me deal with depression - they are great to have around.
welcome to BYC I love this site with all the great people and all the great advice.

Julie

What an AWE-some story!
love.gif

It certainly tugged at my heart strings! Thank you and WELCOME! I especially love the part where your father is there with you when you are among the chickens. Very sweet.

I can't wait for more stories...AND pictures!
wee.gif

Peace-

Pedro
cool.png

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Brenda! You will get all the support you need here, and about anything! what part of Ohio do you live in, i live in Northwest. If you stay on here long enough you will get our disease, and you flock will get larger every month! good Luck!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!!! I love my chickens...I can feel ANY tension ease off as I do as mundane a task as feed them scratch on the yard.
big_smile.png

On the not-so-rare occasion one jumps on my leg and I get to pet her...I might as well be paying HER 50.00 (co-pay) for an hour session!
roll.png

Peace-

Pedro
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom