New here and we just inherited around 60 acres - What breeds to raise?

Colorist

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
READ THIS STORY PLEASE, so you will understand what is going on here:

Okay, so my grandmother is going to pass on very soon (very sad time for all of us, my uncle will be the only one left directly related to her
hit.gif
) and she owned around 120-150+ acres (somewhere in the middle, could be more) up in northwest Missouri that was passed down from her family that were all lawyers. She wants us to split the land between my mother and her only living son, who wants to sell his portion. We want to keep ours and start a little farm and get away from everything while my mom does her new stay at home job (she owns a small identity theft recovery program, just runs it from the house).

Anyways, Grandma wants us to do all that we can to it when we have it. She was leasing all of the 120+ acres for a farmer a couple years only for around $10k, and it is near a little unnamed river too! So it is extremely fertile for farming or grazing. I've seen it for myself- it is beautiful in the spring. So she wants it to be used for all of its worth. By us.

Now, before you go off saying stuff like, "You sound too young, you sound like you have never had chickens before!" The response to that is: NEITHER. I have had chickens before, just your plain old sex links and reds, and I am also old enough to understand how funds work. I am a year from graduating high school and one of the best things I can do are keep track of funds and spending (been doing it most of my life) and I am always willing to learn more if I can get the chance.

And if I can beat my mom to the land (assuming she decides to sell it) then I WILL. I'm not being mean here, this is my dream that shows up on a silver platter (along with my grandmother's wishes) and I am NOT going to walk away from it.

The actual questions, now that you've heard the story:

What breeds to raise?

I want some things that are easy to handle and lay often (one or two breeds are fine. Don't need too much of the same thing)
I want some things that are exotic and fun to watch (lots of options here, I know...)

I also don't want sick or deformed birds from hatcheries, though Cackle hatchery is tempting because it is close by.
So, any suggestions?
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
and congratulations on your inheritance - although I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother's pending demise.

My advice - try a little bit of everything. Go for some good layers and some just plain old fancy chickens. I've heard lots of good things about Cackle. You should also get addicted to hatching eggs
smile.png

Quote:
Whoopsie, forgot to mention that! I want to show a few (namely the exotic ones), but raise some for meat/eggs also. Showing sounds like fun!

I think you should start with 1 breed 1st, remember if you plan on breeding ,showing or selling if you have more then 1 breed of rooster you will need separate pens, research all the breeds and then look into breeders of the ones you want, its a big decision.

All the info you want and more is here:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

It isn't that hatcheries sell sick or deformed birds. Thjey have been bred to lay eggs, not go broody. But several breeds still are more likely to go broody. Henderson's chart will tell you that, along with friendliness and a bunch of other stuff.

If I were just starting out with what I know now, I would buy from one of the local breeders rather than the feed store a large hatchery, as I did. You will get birds of much better quality and generally with a better temperament. You might check on here or perhaps with local feed stores to see if there are any near you. As rural as I am, there are at least two within easy driving distance from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Whoopsie, forgot to mention that! I want to show a few (namely the exotic ones), but raise some for meat/eggs also. Showing sounds like fun!

Well maybe a heritage dual purpose would be a good breed like a dominique! Like said above, start with one breed. Also, think about what your going to do with college, i just graduated HS and im a pre vet major and plan on going to vet school in 4 years, so in 4 years im going to have to stop breeding, unless my brother decides to help me. Just keep that in the front of your brain.

Quote:

Well maybe a heritage dual purpose would be a good breed like a dominique! Like said above, start with one breed. Also, think about what your going to do with college, i just graduated HS and im a pre vet major and plan on going to vet school in 4 years, so in 4 years im going to have to stop breeding, unless my brother decides to help me. Just keep that in the front of your brain.

I agree my HS career is about over so you always have to have the "College Plan". I will have to stop breeding in two years if my little sister doesn't start taking an interest or my mom decides to help me. I'm going to be a secondary education major so I only have 4 years to have the "College Plan" in place. I want my masters degree but I'll do that while I'm working. That is definatly something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom