New here. and will be owning some chickens in a few months

crwfrd.l

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
My mother and I are moving to North Carolina in a few months as I am taking a few years off of college and she has a new job.

I wanted to get a couple chickens just to raise. A couple white silkies actually.

I've been doing a lot of research and I am just looking for some guidance regarding what the best type of feed would be and bedding.

I read that pine or aspen is easy to use and fairly easy to clean since it stays dry...? I know some good companies who sell both kinds of those bedding saying as which I work at a pet store. I have had birds in the past, fish and dogs. I know I can handle chickens.

Like i said, just some guidance. please and thank you..

~C

welcome-byc.gif
Are you going to start with grown birds or chicks? I think the bedding is a matter of choice. I use pine shavings. I bought a big block of it for $4.00 last year and still have it.

I am new to the chicken world also and have been using pine shavings with the chicks. This does work very good and I haven't had problems with odor so far!

welcome-byc.gif

i was looking at chicks from the McMurray Hatchery.. would it be better to start with older chickens..?

this kind of stuff is where im lost..

thank you both for the welcome..!

crwfrd.l :

i was looking at chicks from the McMurray Hatchery.. would it be better to start with older chickens..?

this kind of stuff is where im lost..

thank you both for the welcome..!

Are you looking to have them just for pets, or to breed/show?​

I use pine shavings in the brooder box and it works really nicely- the first week or so I put down paper towels over it as I don't want the chicks to eat the shavings. Once they are out in the barn I use straw on the floor and shavings in the nest boxes. But I know of several people that only use the shavings for their bedding.

As for the feed I would check with your local feed store as I think local is the way to go (within reason). Chick starter (I don't use medicated unless I see a problem) for the first 20 weeks and then layer feed- Although I kept using chick starter as I had younger ones that needed the starter feed. Lots of different opinions on feed (ok on everything to do with raising chickens) so you need to figure out what is going to work with you. I don't feed treats until they are about 8 weeks old.

I would still get silkies from a breeder.

I bought a silkie from someone who had gotten them from a hatchery and then since the kids wanted more of the silkie variety I stumbled in a breeder and those were so much more fluffy and looked so much better. Really I don't think I would compare the two as they looked almost like different breeds.

And even in the breeder's camp they have pet quality and show quality - pet quality is still a few hundred steps above the hatchery's silkie....

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom