New here, but not new to chickens

2 Acres

In the Brooder
May 2, 2024
So far I have managed to get my 20 birds through bitter cold temps, and sweltering heat over the couple years without too many issues. Even birds of prey.

This year is proving different. This started with a couple of hens exhibiting an opaque liquid and green discharge from their bum.

The local vet (who actually treats chickens) gave me some penicillin to administer to my birds, and I am following the directions.

However... whatever is going on, seems to be spreading as more birds are showing the same symptoms. I lost one Red recently, and now her sister is symptomatic... along with a couple of my Sussex's.

I'm hoping it's something they ate, but a distant cousin suggested Coccidiosis. I thought that only affected chicks.

Any advice would be appreciated. I did stop giving them ACV because someone else told me there was issues with that. Bad advice on their part?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Welcome to BYC. Other than the droppings, what symptoms are you seeing? Are they active, alert, eating and drinking? How old are your chickens? Do they lay eggs? What do you feed? Have you wormed them recently, and what did you use? Antibiotics can also cause diarrhea. Call the vet and ask if they can do a fecal float to look for worm eggs, coccidiosis, and they can also do a gram stain for enteritis. Valbazen and SafeGuard liquid goat wormer are good for most chicken worms. Shake them well, and I can give dosages. Penicillin can treat enteritis.

Thank you for your reply. Chickens are 2-3 years old. Yes, they are laying, except for the sick ones.

I lost a Red a few days ago. I think she had trouble passing a "breaker marble" sized egg. That's when I noticed the clear fluid/green stuff (discharge). She died later that night.

I checked my flock and more are exhibiting the same symptoms. Thus the trip to the vet for penicillin.

I had taken the flock off ACV because someone told me it was questionable to give the birds that. (harmful).

At this point I'm wondering if the ACV and antibiotics would mix well, or should I just stick with the penicillin.

The vet gave me a powder refill with instructions on how to mix it.

At first I thought it was water belly, but there seems to be more to this.

I'll attempt to send a pic
IMG_20240430_120308811_HDR.jpg

The abdomens on the sick birds are bloated. Obviously the white stuff is the urates. No clue with the green part. The discharge is about a 3-4" circle.

Right now I have another Red, and 3 Sussex showing the same symptoms. Not sure what the dark green stuff is. Kinda looks like plant material.

Back
Top Bottom