New here, city dweller wanting to raise some chicks

Instead of feeling ambushed why don't you take this to whatever governing body is regulating your ability to legally possess livestock and attempt to get a variance. That in itself would be one heck of good learning experience for every one including folks who are attempting to do the same thing.

Suburbanchick,

Thank you so much for all of your info. I am so excited for you and am excited about your progress/success. We have about 1/5 of an acre lot and have 6'wood fences all around (we Californian's like our privacy)
smile.png
...so privacy isn't an issue. I hope to get a small storage shed and invent a run so that I can tame the noise. I want to put it on wheels to make it a chicken tractor.

You say you have a 6' fence, I assume that they can't fly that high? Would I still need a run if I am fenced in all around? Thanks again.

Stephanie

hi Stephanie...welcome! Why not talk to your other next door neighbor and ask if he would mind if you got a few chickens? Maybe offer him some eggs to make him not mind! Silkies are a nice bantam chicken. Friendly, and mine are not that noisy. My neighbor calls them french poodle chickens. Good luck!
yippiechickie.gif

I think it depends on the breed, whether or not they can fly that high... that's another reason why I chose wyandottes. They tend not to fly as much. And you can clip their wings to prevent them from flying.

As far as them being safe without being in a run, it's pretty common for chickens to be prey for hawks and other predators, even in the city. That's why mine will be in a run unless I'm out there with them.

Back
Top Bottom