New here, city dweller wanting to raise some chicks

Gregswife

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Hi,

I posted an intro in another forum but I will reintro here as well. I am a stay-at-home mom and will be homeschooling my 3 year old daughter.

I want chicks as pets and light egg layers for the experience and to use in cooking (the eggs)
smile.png
. I am going to order them as I live in the city and I have to have females to stay under the radar so I am ordering 3 silkies and perhaps 3 ameraucana (sp?) all bantam for their size.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Stephanie

If you have not done so yet you need to check the regulations in your jurisdiction for keeping poultry. In recent months we have seen time and time again folks who were extremely upset when the city/county/animal control informed them they were not allowed to keep their flock and had to get rid of them.

Trying to stay under the radar is not in anyone's best interest. What if the children become bonded with the birds and suddenly someone comes by and tells you to get rid of them? What if you get caught and are fined or drug into court and pay even more fines? What if you can't find a suitable new home for them, can you cull the flock? What about the neighborhood crank that just wants to make everyone's life miserable and reports your birds?

If you are thinking that hens are quieter than roosters the only real difference is that they do not crow. The girls will cackle and carry on before laying an egg. They'll cackle and carry on after they lay an egg. They will scream and cackle when they percieve a threat, real or not. One bird will start it and then the rest join in.

You've obviously given this some thought but you really do need to carry it further to assure yourself that someone won't be knocking on your door demanding to see the illegal livestock you are harboring.

Thanks Robin for your thoughts. I already checked and we aren't zoned for them but I am hoping that the bantam breed will be smaller and quieter. We know our neighbors on one side and they don't care, not sure about the others but our lots are pretty big for city standards so I don't forsee it being a problem.

Thanks again!

Stephanie

You may find yourself in the situation where you will have to 'prove' that they are family pets. Have you considered that these birds may have to live inside your house and be let out for exercise much like a cat or dog? They can be pretty stinky....

Stephanie, all I have are Silkies. So when I talk about the noise level I've got first hand knowledge.

You would not be the first person to say they have a large lot and then get busted. We've had folks that were actually on acreage but because they were not allowed by law had to get rid of their flocks.

We've had folks that even though they were allowed as long as they met certain set back requirements actually have a neighborhood crank claim her birds were out and laying and pooping in her yard several houses away. Her birds were in a secure pen so that crank was lieing about it but the court sided with the crank and the woman had to get rid of her birds.

I think there's been six on the EZ BYC in the past 6 months who had to get rid of their flocks. Some took it to court trying to save them, others faced astronomical fines for every day the birds remained on their property.

A question I probably should not ask but what kind of lesson is that for the children? Mom is breaking the law by hiding chickens that are not supposed to be there. What about the guilt when they flock has to go?

I've read enough heart ache this year because of illegal flocks or cranks that I do not want to see another post. This time its not someone who did not do their homework first and found out after the fact that it was not allowed. You have the information before opening that can of worms.

OTOH, if she's already decided to get them, it's ultimately her decision. She knows the risk now and I don't think she came here for a lecture about what kind of example she is to her child.

Gregswife, I hope you can get the help you need. Sorry I don't have any info for you, as I'm new at this myself.

Wow, didn't intend to be ambushed here:)

Another reason for me to raise chickens is to start a little self sustainability. I WILL go to city Council and fight and I will explain to my daughter that sometimes the government oversteps it's bounds and that there are certain rights that I will fight for - which I think is a GREAT example to her. I don't like being dependent on the government for my every need and am looking for small ways to change our lifestyle.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I will keep on my path and hope for the best.

I was really wanting input on the varieties of birds I choose, not the other because quite frankly, I have already made my decision so if you want to offer other imput about the breed, variety I have choosen, please feel free to do so.

Stephanie

Suburban Chick,

I didn't read your reply until after I posted my reply. Thank you. I really felt quite ambused here. I totally appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Stephanie

All I know about are wyandottes, as I got 4 a few weeks ago... they are now 5 weeks. I picked them bc they are beautiful (i got silver laced), a friendly breed, and lay well.

I have a 4 yr old son, and thought it would be a great learning experience for him. Plus, I just thought it would be kinda cool to have 'different' pets and actually get some eggs and pest control of the spiders in the yard.

I actually live in the city too, but my lot is NOT big. I have about a 1/4 of an acre. Luckily though, Raleigh is very poultry-friendly, as this city has had a huge history of poultry raising. I think it's great that they have that attitude. There are no restrictions except for the noise ordinance, so I can't get a rooster. There are lots of city chickens around here, supposedly, although I only know one other person who raises them. We have a 6' privacy fence, so I can let them free range some, although only when we're hanging out in the yard with them bc I don't want them to get eaten by a hawk!

I am going the chicken tractor route so that I can move it around the yard and not ruin our lawn. It's a small coop attached to a run. I'll post photos soon, as we are getting it set up permanently when my husband gets home any minute. This will be their first night outside, so I'm a bit nervous.

It's funny how you get so attached to them. I didn't expect that. In fact, after a few days, I posted on here wondering if I made a mistake bc it seemed like they hated being handled and were a pain in the butt till I got them set up in a way that worked for us.

We're really enjoying this... even my husband who first thought I was insane!

Hope all goes well with your family and your chickens.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom