New Here, Dropping by to say Hello!

springvillechic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Central Alabama
Well, with spring in the air here in Alabama and we just purchased a home with plenty of acreage, my husband decided we get two chicks and a duck... So here I am becoming a part of this crazy thing called a small farm. My husband wants to get more animals... any tips on starting out can be posted here.

FYI found one dead chick this morning (production red) and I was very disappointed as that was the one I picked out. It also had more feathers than the others.
It has been raining, they have a coop and a duck to keep them warm (the duck things its a chicken :) ). I just didn't realize how cold it was getting over night. Lesson learned and now the other chick and the duck are in my daughters bathtub where it is nice and cozy until winter decided to go away for good :)

Welcome to BYC, and congratulations on your new home. Young chicks and ducklings require supplemental heat until they are fully feathered, and even longer if ambient temperatures are very low.

Thank you. The weather here has been beautiful, 70-80 degrees during the day with high 50's 60s at night, so they were doing okay until the rain came and temps dropped to the 40s last night. I knew were were expecting freezing temps tonight so I had already planned to bring them in. I just hate I lost one :(

How long do you usually keep them under a light?? how feathered?

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry about the chick. Yes, they will need a heat lamp on them for about 6 weeks or fully feathered. (which is usually 5 to 6 weeks of age). The first week of age, you start them out at around 95 degrees. The temp is lowered by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. Babies can't yet adjust their internal heat engines and can over heat or chill very easy and die. Make sure to have cool spots as well in the tub or brooder so they can chill out of they need to. Food and water should be kept on the cool side as well.

Here is an article in our learning center as well as the link to the learning center for all kinds of good reads on raising your new babies and keeping them as adults as well...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

This should get you started. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your new adventure and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the chick you lost. You've gotten some good advice and links above about caring for them, good luck with them.

goodpost.gif
You come to the right place for advice!
Sounds like you will need at least one more companion for your chick, they are flock animals and chicks and ducks have quite different needs. Most people seem to find it is best to start with at least 3 chicks, that way if you lose one you still have a pair.

WARNING Do be careful :Chickens can be addictive and even effect your heath:
lau.gif
Many owners take up "chicken yoga" to relax (basically losing track of time by watching a busy flock LOL) and "chicken math" can be a challenge (3 = 5 = 10 = 30 = 46 and so on usually dependent on space, money, and time)
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom