New here - Duck pond information please

ashes22

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Hello all
My husband and I are currently in the process of putting together a pond for our ducks. They currently use a doggie pool but it is way to small for the 6 of them. We already have a preformed pond (between 250-300 gallons) . We are just trying to figure out a few things

Should we buy a pump? If we should what kind?

How do you keep it clean? Do you have some sort of filter or underwater vacuum? (I have to clean my doggie pool everyday or else they won't go in)

How often do you clean the pond out?

Do you have the water drain into your backyard or elsewhere?

If you experience the winter season like I do, what water heater do you use for the pond?

I have been doing research like crazy and have viewed the other pond threads on here about 6 times each and have looked at numerous sites for pumps, filters, vacuums, etc. Everything I find has such mixed reviews that it has become confusing because I feel all I do is research and I am starting to forget what I liked, didn't like, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and enjoy your Sunday!!
smile.png

We use a Laguna Powerjet 960 pump for our 300 gallon koi pond / Bio filter set-up, and I bought the same pump for the 300 gallon duck pond / bio filter set-up we are in the process of completing.

I've not updated our progress in a couple of days (I will a bit later today, have some errands to get out of the way), but the duck pond is in the ground, filled and the ducks are using it while I get the filter system completed and running.... but here is where I've been posting my info:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ith-a-grow-bed-aka-aquackulture#post_13911003

Cheers'

Dan

Last edited:
Thank you Dan. I have been looking at the Laguna brand the most(at least I am on the right track) I look forward to seeing your post later. Thank you for the help.

Back
Top Bottom