New here - egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickChick16, Jun 14, 2016.

1. ChickChick16

ChickChick16 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    Norco, California
    I have 2 black Orpingtons and 6 New Hampshire / Rhode Island Crosses.....in 3 days i have gotten a dozen eggs ( which i think is great ). my question is... is there a certain time of day they will lay eggs or should lay eggs or is it individual to the bird?

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    It depends on the bird and when they laid the day before, weather and amount of light they are exposed to.
    They need at least 16 hours of sunlight to lay.
    They also need 26 hours to produce an egg.

Mine lay between 6am-1pm
    My hybrids lay first with my Easter eggers and Wyandotte's laying last in the day

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickChick16

ChickChick16 Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    Norco, California
    ok .. usually find my red girls laying around 10-11 am and my orpingtons around 1 pm.... they have outdoor sunlight in the coop ... so that's not a problem

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It takes about 25 hours for an egg to form, a new ova is released shortly after an egg is laid.
    A new egg could be laid approximately every 25-26 hours, so an hour or so later every day until one is laid late in the day and another ova might not be released until the following day, so a day off. BUT..very hen is different and only time will tell what a particular hen/pullets schedule might be. Not every hen/pullet lays every day..some only lay a few a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by