New here, From Alabama

RainbowCat

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 12, 2012
Hello, I just joined as I have been researching how to raise and care for chickens. I am now almost obsessed with the idea and nothing will keep me from trying. I view it as a wonderful way to be connected with these animals that provide us with food and want to respect them as much as possible while keeping them in captivity and using them for eggs. I am also interested in getting starting taking steps towards more sustainable living. I am about to move into my first house. We are getting it move-in-ready and I cannot wait to live with a garden and chickens..our little house even came with a coop from the previous tenant! I was so excited until...I found out that in Athens,AL it is illegal to keep backyard chickens? Even just 2 or 3 hens..I am dead set on this enough to start rouge chicken keeping. I could just call the coop a rabbit hutch and maybe to the untrained nosy neighbor some silkies(my chicken of choice) might pass for fluffy rabbits? haha I don't know what else to try. My neighbors on one side are cool with it, landlord too..the other ones I don't know and don't want to bring it up just in case they aren't. I'll wait for them to say something and then offer eggs. But if no neighbors complain, how good do you think my chances are of getting caught? I have a friend outside of the city that has already said I can pass the chickens on to her if and when I can no longer keep them in my yard. On a completely different note, I am also very interested in showgirl chickens as I have chinese crested dogs and want birds to match :) and I love peacocks and vulturines, but of course they are out of the question for city birds.

Welcome to BYC!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

So glad you joined us!!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
Plenty of people on here keep rogue chickens without any issues. The majority of the time the main reason they have to get rid of them is due to neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom