New here, from Va

Ok another question, my chicks are doing good and everyone seems to be getting along. 3 are about 1.5 weeks and the other 5 are not quite a week. I pick up 2 rooster chicks Thursday and they will be only couple of days old. Can I put rooster chicks in with my others? Right now I believe have room for them. I have them in my living room, and I was wondering do I need to keep the 250 watt heat light on them or can I change it out to a 60 watt bulb? It is at one end of brooder so they can get away from it. I am so happy that they all seem to be doing well!

Got the brooder setup, partially. Just used some black trashbags to cover the floor. This brooder pen was super easy to setup. The PVC pipe there has 3 different notches you can use to raise/lower the lamp, but can easily add some more notches if needed. Heat lamp and thermometers, feeder and waterer as well as pine shavings and feed will be gotten when we pick up the chicks. Southern states did a deal last year with a starter kit that included those items.

Tractor supply has chicks in already. We may go out this evening to see what they have. Southern States gets their shipment of chicks the 12th. Going to call the fella with the orpington chicks in the next couple of days to see if he has any left, and may go pick them up this weekend if he does.

Getting so excited!

Ok another question, my chicks are doing good and everyone seems to be getting along. 3 are about 1.5 weeks and the other 5 are not quite a week. I pick up 2 rooster chicks Thursday and they will be only couple of days old. Can I put rooster chicks in with my others? Right now I believe have room for them. I have them in my living room, and I was wondering do I need to keep the 250 watt heat light on them or can I change it out to a 60 watt bulb? It is at one end of brooder so they can get away from it. I am so happy that they all seem to be doing well!
Yes, they do sneeze. Unless it is a wet sneeze with constant runny nose, then generally there is nothing to worry about.

You can mix any breed or sex chicks up to about 2 weeks, 3 weeks max. Around 2 weeks of age, they will start working on the pecking order. So you can mix in chicks with your 1 1/2 week olds. :)

Thanks! I wanna say when she did it, it was a wet sneeze but I haven't noticed any runny noses. What does that mean??
And, glad to know I can mix all my babies together, but what about the light? Should I keep it the same or lower wattage?

Back
Top Bottom