New here, from Va

Tappy4me

Songster
Apr 1, 2013
Virginia
Hello all!

My husband and I are finally getting some chickens. Down the road we'd like to get some Buff Orpingtons, but for now we are getting some chicks from Southern States chick days. We have a coop picked out...just need to order it as soon as we pick up the chicks.

We'll be making a large run to move about the yard with some sort of fencing and PVC piping, with a tarp over the top for sun protection, so that they can free range safely.

We will be having them in a bedroom until they are old enough to go out to the coop. :)

I look forward to being able to bounce ideas off members as we move forward in our endeavor with owning chickens!

Thank you guys! We've been wanting to get some for awhile, but held off last year due to not wanting to have to move them all if we found a house to move to a few months later. However, we found a coop for a reasonable price that is very easy to assemble/disassemble from the reviews, so we can pack it up and move it later. It seems like we'll be stuck in the house we are in for awhile, so may as well start on our venture with chickens! :)

We are so excited! I think we're going to start with about 12, to give us room for possibly losing a few. I believe the coop we are getting can house 6-10 large chickens comfortably. ( coop we're getting http://chickensaloon.com/the-rambler-backyard-chicken-coop/)

I will of course be posting lots of pics once we can get them! :)

Welcome to our forum!

That coop has about 9 sq ft of living space, which is about right for 3 bantans or 2 large fowl, IMO. I would certainly not try to put 10 in there.

Oh really? Hmmm.... What would be a good sized coop for that many then? I was going by specs written and not doing the math myself. So much to learn! Have the option to have my dad help us build one, so still have time to do that. Just need something easily able to disassemble and move, so we can take it with us when we move.

Thanks!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome To BYC! The general rule of thumb seems to be 4 sq foot per chicken inside and 10 outside, but that varies depending on a number of things, here is a great BYC Learning Center article to help figure out how much space you want https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need
They will be free range during the day. :) thanks for the link! Checking it out now.
Looking at much larger coop plans now!

I think we will be following the coop build of the Jjamerb's Pallet Palace, since we have access to pallets for next to nothing. Should be able to get enough materials and build it prior to the chicks being old enough to go out to the coop to get it built. I think with some L brackets and getting my dad's help, we should be able to make it easy to disassemble to move later!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom