New here! need some advice!

chelseymandel

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hi everyone!
I'm new here my name is chelsey and I am from saskatchewan canada! A couple days ago I noticed that my barred rock rooster who is a couple months over a yr old started crowing really weakly and quietly. I watched him and he seemed alright but this morning when I let him out it was almost like he couldn't get his balance properly he would walk a bit and then stumble and had his head and tail down... what's wrong with him? I should also mention that my chickens get ground oats once per day and for the rest of the time they free range. Any ideas?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your rooster. Do you know if he has been vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks can cause stumbling and drunkenness like actions. I am really not sure here. You will want to post this in our emergency section for more help with your boy... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope someone there can help you get him back to good health soon. :)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 sounds like it may be Mareks. Defiantly post in the emergency area. Two Crows gave you the link.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster! I hope all the good people on the Emergencies forum help you out!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your rooster!
hugs.gif
I'd definitely post this in the emergencies section; hopefully people there can help!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Sorry about your rooster.

Are the oats and free ranging the ONLY foods they eat? He (and others eventually) may have nutritional deficiencies - feed manufacturers speed big bucks giving chickens the nutrients they need for certain stages of their life. Oats and bugs, aren't the same. I hope your rooster doesn't have Mareks. If he has nutritional deficiencies that can be remedied.

Back
Top Bottom