New here, new to chickens

I have a few, if that’s alright!
> How soon should I provide grit to the chicks? My friend says that he personally introduces them to it when they’re eating more fibrous foods, but I want to hear some more opinions!
> When is it safe to interact with them more? Do they require time to acclimate to their new home beforehand like other animals?

Thank you so much! You’re all so kind, I feel so welcomed!
I always start mine with something called “chick grit” and offer it as soon as they arrive.

I interact with mine from the day they arrive. I want to teach them I’m not a threat, but rather, a friend and want to earn their trust. I place my hand in the brooder at first, allowing them to acclimate to it. Once you can do that without them stressing out, some may even climb up into it. Don’t snatch them up when they do that though, teach them it won’t hurt them to climb in it. After a couple of days, pick them up and hold them. I always think that it’s less stressful to hold a pair together. (If you have only three though, hold them all at once.)

Just spend as much time with them talking to them holding them and everything with them as you can so you can have birds that trust you and will be friendly down the road. That won’t make them lap chickens, but i think a friendly chicken is the best kind of chicken.

Welcome to BYC! Make yourself at home and feel free to ask any questions! This is a great community of chicken loving people!
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom