New here! Question about my chicken not coming home :-(

mamahen315

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2017
Hi, I'm new here. I decided to join because I always come to this site for information so why not be a part of it. I have five Rhode Island reds about a year old almost. I got them (6 of them, one turned out to be a rooster so I gave him a nice home at my friends farm) at a local tractor supply on march 15,2016 as chicks. My wife and I raised them in the house because we don't have a barn, until they were old enough to go outside in the coop and addition that my wife built.

They are awesome and I love having them!! My dog of ten years passed away march 9,2016 just a few days shy of when I got him on march 15, 2006. Getting the chickens on that day ten years later and having them around has really helped with the passing of my dog.

So when one of my chickens never made it home last night, it makes me sad. I let them out for a few hours almost every chance I get and especially yesterday since today is the snowstorm of the year or so they say!! I live in Massachusetts.

I searched and searched for her last night but no such luck. It makes me think a hawk got to her since a few weeks ago, right in front of my eyes, one of my girls got bit and tossed around a bit by a hawk!! But my screaming must have made it fly away and my chicken survived. It's not the same chicken that hasn't come home last night so I'm not sure what happened. They know their way home, it's been a year in April since they've been outside in their coop and free ranging almost daily.

Is it safe to assume my poor chicken has lost her life? I went searching around today in the snow before it gets too bad out but no such luck. Couldn't see her or hear her.

Thanks for listening,

Mamahen315

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us although I'm sorry that it is not under happier circumstances. Its certainly possible that your girl was taken by a predator, but don't lose hope - she may reappear. A couple of months ago, another member lost his 10 day old chick, only to find it return after two days - there's always hope.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Any time chickens are out free ranging, there's a possibility a predator will take them. But as CTKen said, don't give up hope yet. Keep looking, they can get into small spaces you might not think they would. Not long ago, a member found her "lost" chicken trapped underneath an overturned bucket.

Good luck to you!

Thank you for the words of hope. It's amazing how attached I have become of my chickens. My wife is not fond of animals but she helps me out with them because she knows how much I love animals!! She even searched a little bit too with me but no luck. I'm just extra nervous because of all this snow we are getting slammed with right now.

I just have to believe I did my best to go look for her last night and this morning! I even knocked on some of my neighbors doors haha
1f615.png

Thank you for the words of hope. It's amazing how attached I have become of my chickens. My wife is not fond of animals but she helps me out with them because she knows how much I love animals!! She even searched a little bit too with me but no luck. I'm just extra nervous because of all this snow we are getting slammed with right now.

I just have to believe I did my best to go look for her last night and this morning! I even knocked on some of my neighbors doors haha
1f615.png

That was a good thing to do. We get quite a few posts here on BYC of people having stray chickens show up in their yards.

Keep us posted!

Same here. I lost a guinea hen one night and it returned three weeks later!
th.gif
th.gif
Also, my favorite Sussex hen disappeared one night and the next day my neighbor called- who lives 2 miles down the road- to tell us she had slept in their coop! So don't loose hope! But I also have lost a free-ranging guinea to a raccoon, so sadly, you may have to eventually conclude your hen's fate.
hugs.gif
Keep us posted and the best of wishes coming your way!

Howdy, howdy, and welcome to BYC! I am so glad you decided to join the community, please do make yourself at home here! I am sure you will enjoy it, and I hope you love it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

G’Day from down under mamahen315
frow.gif
Welcome!

I agree, do not give up hope yet, your gal may just be hiding until she deems it safe to return. I read of someone who found their hen wedged behind the fridge in the shed after a scare so also look in all those places you would not expect a chicken to be.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Greetings from Kansas, mamahen315, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! Looks like you have received a lot of great advice already so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom