New here - question on feeding in winter...

orchidcrazy

Chirping
Aug 14, 2020
CT
Been lurking, joined, now asking!!! In CT so we deal with cold, snow, although last year it was mainly ice which has been rare in the many years I have lived here.

Water... I have read no water in the coop - so where does it go in the winter? I am planning on doing (ART's?) self waterer so can that go in the coop if I supervise for spillage?

Food... I have read no food in the coop as well. Got all the stuff for (Art's?) self feeder. Should it go inside or outside?

I am making PVS tubes for oyster shells and grit - is that okay to post in the coop? If I do should I have a second in the run or move in and out?

Many thanks for any who respond.

PS - I know I saw where you can post your location, but can't find that post again to add mine in. Many thanks for addressing that as well.

No real reason to move food and water specifically for winter, unless it's to try and keep waterer slightly warmer to minimize freezing.

If you're trying to decide where to put food and water in the first place, lots of discussion here for and against various locations: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/can-this-marriage-be-saved.1375892/ . Long story short, give the pros and cons some consideration, then put it where it makes sense in your set up.

As far as how to add your location, think this is the right graphic: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hickens.1410093/#lg=attachment2305882&slide=0

Whether you keep food and water in the coop or in the run depends on your own circumstances. If your run is covered you could keep food in the run or in the coop if you prefer. If your run is not covered then you will most likely need to keep food and also keep water in the coop. Although some people have chickens that love to play in the snow, mine have never liked walking in snow so they would not go out if there was snow in the run.

Luckily for me my run is covered now. The girls hate to be in the coop during the day no matter how cold it gets here in Montana. Therefore I keep their food and water in the run. I do cover 3 sides of the run with clear plastic so there are no direct breezes blowing on the birds.

Normally, all food and water and grit and OS are in the run. In summer, during abnormally hot weather, we add water to the coop for them to drink as late and as early as they are up to assist with hydration. During winter, We will put the large metal waterer in the coop on a heater base. During exceptionally cold weather, we will put food in the coop to maximize their eating, which helps them to keep warm. Their feed intake increases in winter bc they need the energy to keep warm. Since they do not eat in the dark, we add feed To coop in particularly cold weather to allow them to eat all the hours they have light.

so, in general we keep feed and water in the run. We only alter this during extreme highs or lows.

I have food and water in both places all year long. I have a plant saucer underneath the coop waterer to catch any drips, so the bedding doesn't get wet. The waterer is raised up on bricks so the nipples are not inside the saucer.

14 gallon heated waterer.jpg

I keep feed and water in both of my well ventilated coops and Oyster Shells and Poultry Grit and water under the raised coops. 20200826_112852_resized.jpg .
20200827_090053_resized.jpg

I use a heated base (125 watts) inside and a rubber bowl outside during winter season. 20191207_092057_resized.jpg .
20191207_092223_resized.jpg

It occasionally gets below zero Fahrenheit at my place and the water didn't freeze inside and the rubber bowls are on south side and get sun but will freeze below 25F, but easily cleared of ice by banging against coop, rock or dropped on ground.
It's important to keep heated base and bottom of waterer clean. Shavings or dirt between won't allow good heat transfer. GC

Last edited:
Many thanks for all replies!

We are building the coop with hardware cloth, but I have bear, fisher cats, coyotes, hawks, possum, bobcat and raccoons to deal with - funny because I don't live on the Eastern side of the state, but the Western and only about an hour from Manhattan so not like I live in a rural area. I am still torn on feeder location. Ugh! And don't even get me started on the sleep I lost last night over where to build roosts in the coop! Building the coop is easy compared to deciding on those two things!

Hi, glad you joined.

Some people feed or water only in the coop. Some feed or water only in the run. I feed and water in both. We all have our own reasons for what we do. There are no hard and fast rules where the chicken police will arrest you if you don't follow them.

We all have different conditions. Climate, set-ups and facilities, work schedules, flock make-up, and so many other things that the same thing doesn't work for all of us. Do what is convenient for you in your situation. As long as your chickens can get food and water they are happy. They don't care where it is.

Back
Top Bottom