new here, with new chicks and new coop

That is a great looking coop!! Is Rick busy next weekend? Could I borrow him
big_smile.png
lol.png
?

You are going to love having chickens!!!

Finally think we have everything completed for the coop and run. "We Think" is the operative, and very hopeful word here, haha. Anyway, we decided that we had better stop procrastinating about getting our black lab Lil Spanky up close and personal with these birds. I'm not sure why we kept her at a distance, just not quite trusting her I guess. So, we let the chickies out into the yard, and I had Spanky loosely on her leash. Chickies weren't bothered by her being there, and she wasn't acting aggressive or anything. So, as my husband hollered "NO, NO !! Don't do it, dead chickens, aaaacchchhhh!!" I unclipped her leash. It turns out that she doesn't know they are birds. She thinks they are puppies. (she's never had any) She follows them around nosing them in the butt like she's counting them, steers them in the directions she wants them to go, and every so often, she 'rounds' them up and herds them into the coop, where she lays down and won't let them back out. After a while the chirping gets to her, and she moves so they can come back out, but stays very close by, touching their butts whenever she thinks one is missing. It's fun to watch, and such a surprise. But I'm sure you have all seen this kind of behavior before.

Great coop and funny story about your dog! That is so sweet
smile.png
Our dog likes to lick their butts... which, unlike mammals... they are not programmed for it and certainly do not welcome the cleaning! LMAO

welcome-byc.gif

Rick just sent me these new photos that he took with his cell phone. Lil Spanky has a rebellious child, a Barred Rock that has no fear, and tries to stare her down at every chance. Might be a Roo? The new and permanent run is done now (til he thinks of something else to do with it, haha) It's much bigger and much more secure. He's sure having a good time with these chickens and all that goes along with them. Now I'll try to quit braggin' for a while.

LilSpankyandTuffy.jpg

theotherside.jpg

done1-1.jpg

very nice coop!..love it and the cute doggie also!...so cute the way he herds them around!!!
...i have 2 dogs..Saint Bernards..and my male is very calm..not a worry..but my girl is a brat...she wouldnt hurt them on purpose...but she would have tooo much fun chasing them around.. if they wouldnt run from her she'd ignore them..(like my cats have learned)...now my cats sleep with her, but i doubt i'll ever get my chickens to ignore a 90 lb beast running at them!..;o).,i wish i could figure out a way to let the chickens free for a while daily..with my supervision, and still let Daisy in the yard with them..if not..when i let the chickens out of thier pen, she'll have to be locked up on our deck and have no fun!..ooh well, anyways...your lucky to have such an awesome dog..and a cute coop also!..congrats., Wendy

Beautiful coop! I really like how it matches with the other building on your property.

I hope our lab reacts like yours! He's a boy, though, so we'll have to see.

Back
Top Bottom