New here with some questions!

AndreaGS

Songster
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
West Sacramento, CA
A couple of my friends, who live in Sacramento, recently purchased and are raising a few egg-laying hens. This set off my curiosity (and I'll admit - jealousy!), especially since my fiance and I are interested in more sustainable living.

I've seen some lovely suburban coops by browsing through the webpage and forum. However, everyone's backyard looks pretty secluded.

I live in West Sacramento, and although I can't find any laws forbidding chickens in the city, I know that our neighborhood codes, covenants, and regulations forbid any poultry-keeping. I'd love to keep chickens someday (in 1-2 years, after we're more settled), but this makes me nervous.

In addition, by going to the second-floor of our house, we can see everyone's backyard (despite the 6' fence). Our neighborhood is very quiet. There is the occasional blared music, yard work, BBQ, barking dog, or teenager on a dirt bike - but most of the time you go outside and all you can hear is a breeze, the birds, and the faint sound of voices.

Should I not even entertain the idea? Here's a photo of a piece of our backyard, to show you what I mean (before we moved in and prettified it
wink.png
):

house6.jpg

We have a fenced-in side yard that is 6.6'x29'. I thought I might be able to get away with a small coop over there since the neighbor's side-yard opposite ours is unused...

Last edited:
I say go for your dreams. You'll only regret the things you never tried.

Maybe you should check out this site. This family has been homesteading their 1/5 acre (66' x 132') city lot in Pasadena, CA - VERY IMPRESSIVE. They raise chickens and ducks and grow some of their own food. They are vegetarians, so the chickens and ducks are not raised for meat.

http://www.pathtofreedom.com/

edited to say WELCOME TO BYC!!!

Last edited:
We are super suburban too. Chickens are NOT allowed where we are. I called the town ordinance guy, who tells me they aren't allowed, BUT, if my neighbors didn't have a problem with it, he didn't either. If he ever receives a complaint, we'll have to get rid of them.

So, I talked to my neighbors on all sides and they were OK with it. We have 3 hens. I got a pre-fab Chick N Barn and Yard. The barn is a bit bigger than a large dog house and of course the run is on the front of the barn. DH installed a wood floor in the barn and covered it with lino. We have no smell and no flies so far. Neighbors have been fine with it. They do hear the girls from time to time.

Once we get eggs, I'll be sharing with the neighbors!

I say, talk to ALL of your surrounding neighbors and see what they think! If it's a go, then do it!

Some prople I know have chickens in the city and they use the eggs to bribe the neighbors.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying!

keljonma - that website is impressive, not to mention inspiring.

Jashdon - thanks for looking up that ordinance, but we actually live in Yolo County, across the river from Sacramento. You're allowed to have poultry according to Yolo County ordinances, but the coop is supposed to be 50' away from any dwelling. So in that case, I probably shouldn't keep the coop in the side yard.

We planted a willow tree at the back end of our yard, so I could semi-stealth it under there in a couple years.

And I'll definitely plan on speaking to my neighbors (and bribing them with eggs
smile.png
). So far they seem very friendly, so I'm hopeful!

There's a small farm across the street from our subdivision, and I saw they had their chickens out free-roaming on my way to work this morning. Nice to know there are chickens around!

Quote:
We have this too, but you can ask your neighbors if they don't mind and if not get a waiver.

Good luck! And go for it! If you've already posted here it's already too late to turn back from chicken-owner-dom...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom