New Here

QuailingAround

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
I started out with chickens. It was a fun trip. I had 3 brahmas (I asked at family farm and home for bantams lol) 2 jersey giants and an Ameracuna. Turns out I didn't have enough space. They started egg eating and I was too attached to freezer camp them. My brother has one of my jersey giants and my ameracuna they're happier with more space and lay consistently no problem. My other girls found a free ranging flock with our friend.

I switched to quail as our traditional diet involved quail and quail eggs. Now THIS has been a journey! From discovering they're escape artists to finding out how jumpy they are I haunted these forums ALOT the last few months and finally decided to join.

I have 13 courtnix quail, 9 I hatched myself. Then I recently bought hatching eggs to hopefully get new blood into my quail program. My incubator malfunctioned and because of such I lost 8 chicks in shell but managed to hatch 7 before the incubator gave up. The company is sending me a new one free of charge thank goodness. I got some decently "rare: coloring including a silver! So I guess Im technically up to 20. We rebuilt their pen and run so no escaping and its divided so I can work on bloodlines.

I have a very fond soft spot for feathered friends. My quail bring me and my kids alot of smiles, they're such quirky little birds. My boyfriend lives in fear we will always have a brooder full of fluffballs lol. But I am breeding them for meat, eggs and company.

I am in the process of opening my own catering business and we hope to move in the next couple years to land we can broader farm. We live on the outskirts of town. Literally 3 feet from the end of my driveway the city limits ends. 😂 But they dont mind my quail or rabbits (On backyard herd as BunniesOhMy). I recently graduated with a culinary arts associates, soon a culinary sales and marketing and have 2 awesome kiddos. I do a ton of citysteading with large gardens in my yard (we have .25 of an acre) and foraging.

I started out with chickens. It was a fun trip. I had 3 brahmas (I asked at family farm and home for bantams lol) 2 jersey giants and an Ameracuna. Turns out I didn't have enough space. They started egg eating and I was too attached to freezer camp them. My brother has one of my jersey giants and my ameracuna they're happier with more space and lay consistently no problem. My other girls found a free ranging flock with our friend.

I switched to quail as our traditional diet involved quail and quail eggs. Now THIS has been a journey! From discovering they're escape artists to finding out how jumpy they are I haunted these forums ALOT the last few months and finally decided to join.

I have 13 courtnix quail, 9 I hatched myself. Then I recently bought hatching eggs to hopefully get new blood into my quail program. My incubator malfunctioned and because of such I lost 8 chicks in shell but managed to hatch 7 before the incubator gave up. The company is sending me a new one free of charge thank goodness. I got some decently "rare: coloring including a silver! So I guess Im technically up to 20. We rebuilt their pen and run so no escaping and its divided so I can work on bloodlines.

I have a very fond soft spot for feathered friends. My quail bring me and my kids alot of smiles, they're such quirky little birds. My boyfriend lives in fear we will always have a brooder full of fluffballs lol. But I am breeding them for meat, eggs and company.

I am in the process of opening my own catering business and we hope to move in the next couple years to land we can broader farm. We live on the outskirts of town. Literally 3 feet from the end of my driveway the city limits ends. 😂 But they dont mind my quail or rabbits (On backyard herd as BunniesOhMy). I recently graduated with a culinary arts associates, soon a culinary sales and marketing and have 2 awesome kiddos. I do a ton of citysteading with large gardens in my yard (we have .25 of an acre) and foraging.
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Back
Top Bottom