New Here

SandraVG

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
We are new to chickens as of July 2023. We started with 13 chickens, down to 9, with a very sick one right now. We have 3 Buffs, Easter eggers, Columbian Wyndotte, a Rhode lsland red, are all the ones that I can think of. We love how the chickens have different personalities and we love/hate that they have become our beloved pets. I think we got a lemon batch because we've had every problem you can think of...3 died right away as chicks, 2 we nursed for 3 months because they were wobbly and lethargic, sour crop, a congenital defect that vet had not seen before, our surprise rooster died from Merrick's disease. We know because we had him necropsied to make sure it wasn't something environmental causing the issue. Our most recent sick chick had inbound eggs. She was lively Sunday, Monday wouldn't move, Tuesday laid 2 eggs for the first time, today is listless and looks like she is dying. We are so sad because she's our favorite. She looks like a roadrunner, curious, and super friendly. We've had her inside in a box of hay. We are feeding her yogurt and egg yolks with homeopathetics. Just wondering if there's anything else we can do?

A friend told me about this group and suggested I join and ask if anyone had any insight that might help our sweet hen.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry for all your troubles.
I would feed the pullet struggling with her egg laying a calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet twice daily for at least a week. It will help with shell formation and contractions.
I would also be very concerned about the fact you had a loss due to Marek's in the flock. It is very likely you now have a flock carrying Marek's and you should NEVER sell or give away any birds from your flock.

Welcome to BYC. I am so sorry you have Marek's disease in your flock. Are you aware this disease is for life?
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but try to keep your flock healthy with a balanced diet and zero stress which isn't always possible.
Please do not add any new birds until you learn how this disease works.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry for all your troubles.
I would feed the pullet struggling with her egg laying a calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet twice daily for at least a week. It will help with shell formation and contractions.
I would also be very concerned about the fact you had a loss due to Marek's in the flock. It is very likely you now have a flock carrying Marek's and you should NEVER sell or give away any birds from your flock.
Thank you for the advice! I'll start now and we don't plan to sell our chickens, but that good to know. :)

Back
Top Bottom