New here!

DayKay

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Howdy! I found the forum while looking for some answers about a broody hen! Hopefully, I'll learn all sorts of good things here!

Bit about me - I just finished a 13-year career as a homeschooling Mom, all three daughters are in college now! Married 28 years to a redneck geek who works for Texas A&M University. With the girls done with high school, I have time to myself! We built our 'dream house' in the country four years ago, and ventured into chickens last year. The first 7 chicks we got were all doing well, laying, happy, when the neighbor's dog came to visit. We came home from church to find chicken carnage every where!

She (the neighbor, not the dog) graciously replaced the lost 7 with 7 new, young layers. Two of them subsequently flew into the dog kennel area (yep, those trained retrievers done did what they were trained to do and picked up the bird!). Two have since disappeared - no feathers, no dead chicken, just didn't come back to the coop one night. Of the three left, one went broody, and has just now rejoined life outside the coop, and I was wondering if she will actually start to lay again. I also got 4 more babies, they're about 6 weeks old now (they were an attempt to end the broodiness).

So, that's about it - I'm looking forward to learning from some eggsperts!

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I am no Eggspert - just a newbie waiting on my first egg to be delivered from any of my 5 girls and my handsome rooster just started crowing finally last week!
Cal
Jax FL

Back
Top Bottom