1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by retiredchick, Jan 8, 2014.

1. retiredchick

retiredchick New Egg

Jan 7, 2014
    I am new to this site and in the process if studying up and preparing before I get my first chickens. I live in an urban environment with a small backyard and very close neighbors. Any advice on how to approach them regarding my plans to have chickens? I get along with them well enough. Just nervous that they will not welcome the idea

2. Farmboy1200

Farmboy1200 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    :frow:welcome

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

I can't help you there. I live in the middle of no where. But I wish you all the luck and hope you can get into chickens in a smooth manner.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. mayoman

mayoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    I joined today also. Recently retired also. Love all manner of barnyard fowl. Welcome from another newbie.

5. mayoman

Jan 8, 2014
    Thanks.. Looking forward to all there is from BYC

6. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Welcome to BYC! :welcome

I live in an area where our neighbors are no more than 20ft from our house. When I decided that I wanted to get into raising chickens, I went to the neighbors on either side of our house and simply told them what our plan was. I told them I wanted to get some hens to be able to have fresh eggs every day and that here would be no rooster, so the noise would be minimal. I also told them that I would regularly bring eggs over for them (a little bribery never hurts, just make sure you deliver on that promise ;)). Anyway, that's all it took for my neighbors to accept it. However, we do live in an area where if you leave the neighborhood, you are right out in farmland. So most of our neighbors have grown up on farms or have lived next to them so they were more accepting from the beginning. Depending on where you live, your neighbors may be worried about noise, disease, etc. so you may want to read up on that kind of stuff because some people are just really misinformed (hens ARE NOT that loud and nor are they filthy as long as you provide them with adequate space and keep it clean. Hope this helps and again, WELCOME!!! :)

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree with giving them fresh eggs, that should make them happy, and no roosters :)

8. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    Welcome! The learning center sounds like it would be a great place for you to start. :)

9. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    hi there [​IMG]
    glad you joined us.

I would just tell your neighbors that you plan to raise chickens

10. mayoman

Jan 8, 2014
    Neighbors, WHAT Neighbors?? That is why we bought in N. Fl. NOTHING LIKE SOUTH FLORIDA. We have to drive 30 minutes to find a WALMART .....Love it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by