New here

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newbies0331, Feb 27, 2014.

1. newbies0331

newbies0331 New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi everyone. I have a general question. How long do hens typically lay eggs. And of you don't use them for meat how long do they love? Thanks so much!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Welcome! Heritage breeds will lay longer, but the frequency will drop as they age. Hybrids, and there are a lot of them: Isa Browns, Black and Red stars to name a few, will lay really well for 2 years, then they're done. (though there exceptions to both of these rules) I can't resist poking fun at your typo. They'll love as long as they live. They love table scraps, bugs, mice, frogs, snakes, people toes, fresh greens (translated: your lawn, garden and flowers, especially if they're your favorites) They'll also love turning your rose garden into a dust bath, and most of all, they'll love entertaining you and providing fresh eggs for breakfast and manure for your garden. My recommendations: Get a mixed flock, perhaps some of each. Build your coop and run bigger than you think you'll need. Make it predator proof (1/2" hardware cloth, with a skirt around the base of the run, Hdw. cloth or netting over the top if you can. Get all of your birds from the same place, the same age, at the same time. Check out Henderson's chicken breed chart.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by